eth0 won't start after upgrade to RH 7.1

eth0 won't start after upgrade to RH 7.1

Post by Rick Bilonic » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 04:21:05

Hi,

I had been using RH 7.0 on a new Compaz Deskpro EN. There are two
ethernet cards, eth0 uses the eepro100 driver and eth1 uses tulip.
(Everything worked OK under RH 7.0.) I also used Xisp for a dial-up ppp
connection. I upgraded to RH 7.1 letting the software determine the
packages to be upgraded. It upgraded without complaints and rebooted but
I could see immediately that while eth1 started, eth0 (which uses DHCP
from the LAN) was not started. After logging in as root, it looked like
the problem has something to do with the dhcpcd (client) daemon not
running. I've tried to start this daemon with no luck. eth0 needs DHCP
to connect to the LAN. I'm not sure if this is connected, but the
dial-up ppp connection starts and connects to the ISP, and I can ping
things using numeric IP's but not symbolic, I guess a problem connected
with the DNS.

I know that 7.1 adds some security. If I open a shell and su to a root
session, I cannot use telnet or run a program via X Windows. I get a
message about not being allowed to connect to localhost. I've checked
/etc/services and telnet is enabled (so is dhcp).

I'm sending this from my laptop running RH 7.1 using Kppp thru a dial-up
connection. The same info should allow the Xisp or Kppp dial-up
connection to work on the Compaq Deskpro but it doesn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rick Bilonick

Post by Enriqu » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 05:15:20

> Hi,

> I had been using RH 7.0 on a new Compaz Deskpro EN. There are two
> ethernet cards, eth0 uses the eepro100 driver and eth1 uses tulip.
> (Everything worked OK under RH 7.0.) I also used Xisp for a dial-up ppp
> connection. I upgraded to RH 7.1 letting the software determine the
> packages to be upgraded. It upgraded without complaints and rebooted but
> I could see immediately that while eth1 started, eth0 (which uses DHCP
> from the LAN) was not started. After logging in as root, it looked like
> the problem has something to do with the dhcpcd (client) daemon not

Use linuxconf, select "Network tasks", then "Host name and IP network
devices". Look at the "Adaptor 1", "Adaptor 2", etc., searching for the one
with the "net device" field set to "eth0". Then make sure that the buttons
"Enabled" and "Dhcp" are active (sunken).

This program will write the file /etc/sysconfig//network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.
It should look like this:

DEVICE="eth0"
ONBOOT="yes"
IPADDR=""
NETMASK=""
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
IPXNETNUM_802_2=""
IPXPRIMARY_802_2="no"
IPXACTIVE_802_2="no"
IPXNETNUM_802_3=""
IPXPRIMARY_802_3="no"
IPXACTIVE_802_3="no"
IPXNETNUM_ETHERII=""
IPXPRIMARY_ETHERII="no"
IPXACTIVE_ETHERII="no"
IPXNETNUM_SNAP=""
IPXPRIMARY_SNAP="no"
IPXACTIVE_SNAP="no"

Then the boot procedure /etc/rc.d/init.d/network will run
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup, which in turn will run/sbin/pump to
take your network up. If pump fails, ifup tries /sbin/dhcpcd.

The ifup script also takes care about punching a hole in your firewall
so that a dns server can be queried during the process.

I give all these details because since everything worked in RH7.0, they
should have worked equally well now, and chances are that you need to debug
the steps described above.

Quote:> running. I've tried to start this daemon with no luck. eth0 needs DHCP
> to connect to the LAN. I'm not sure if this is connected, but the
> dial-up ppp connection starts and connects to the ISP, and I can ping
> things using numeric IP's but not symbolic, I guess a problem connected
> with the DNS.

Yes, by default it uses the ipchains interface. (Actually there is a
question during installation if you want to have a firewall in place, but I
guess you said yes.)

There are now three interfaces to the firewall functionality, and the
native one uses iptables. Unless you can have an old script work as before
with ipchains, I suggest you use the iptables commands to set up your
firewall.

But first, just to see if you have a firewall in place, first do "lsmod".
If you see the ipchains module, then that is the one you must query.
If not, but you see iptables and allies (ipt_*), then you must use iptables.

To see the current configuration do "service ipchains status" or "service
iptables status".

Quote:> I know that 7.1 adds some security. If I open a shell and su to a root
> session, I cannot use telnet or run a program via X Windows. I get a
> message about not being allowed to connect to localhost. I've checked

I just cannot remember the answer to this one. The X server issues a token
that all clients must present to the server before they are allowed to set
up a window. That token is normally saved in the file $HOME/.Xauthority.
A pointer to this file is placed in the environment variable XAUTHORITY.
This is how the programs find it.

When you su to another user using "su -" then the original environment is
lost except the TERM and the DISPLAY varibles. I think Redhat has done
something to carry over the XAUTHORITY information to the su shell, but I
do not know what. I just dicovered that I no longer had to set this
variable manually. In fact, my su shells do not have this variable. (In the
case of suing to any other user than root you also have the issue of access
rights to the .Xauthority file.)

In any case, the program xhost can be used to disable access control to the
X display alltogether. That might be just as good in you case?

Quote:> /etc/services and telnet is enabled (so is dhcp).

You do not check the status of services in /etc/services. This is a file
that just contain the translations between names and numbers of the tcp and
udp protocols. Normally you never change this file.

To find out what servers are running try "netstat -at" to see all tcp
sockets, and "netstat -au" to see the udp sockets. The tcp sockets in state
LISTEN are the tcp servers that are currently active.

Sometimes you must also look in the "foreign addrress" column of the
netstat output to see if the server in question is listening on all
interfaces or just on the wrong one. For instance, if the smtp port is
listening only on the loopback interface that would explain why you get no
response on eth*

Quote:

> I'm sending this from my laptop running RH 7.1 using Kppp thru a dial-up
> connection. The same info should allow the Xisp or Kppp dial-up
> connection to work on the Compaq Deskpro but it doesn't.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> Rick Bilonick

Best whishes,

Enrique Perez-Terron

Post by suresh kodat » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:33:32

> connection. I upgraded to RH 7.1 letting the software determine the
> packages to be upgraded. It upgraded without complaints and rebooted but
> I could see immediately that while eth1 started, eth0 (which uses DHCP
> from the LAN) was not started. After logging in as root, it looked like
> the problem has something to do with the dhcpcd (client) daemon not
> running. I've tried to start this daemon with no luck. eth0 needs DHCP
> to connect to the LAN. I'm not sure if this is connected, but the
> dial-up ppp connection starts and connects to the ISP, and I can ping
> things using numeric IP's but not symbolic, I guess a problem connected
> with the DNS.

hi Rick
make sure that u have the driver module installed properly( if you compiled
it as a module).

try using #ifconfig eth0 up
to bring the card up.
verify the line "ONBOOT=YES" in the file

if you still have the problem, run #dmesg to see the logged errors,
and /var/log/messages would give better log messages
-suresh

1. Upgrading RH 7.1 to 7.2 says 'some volumes not unmounted cleanly'

        Hi all,

        When I try to upgrade my RH7.1 to the 7.2,
after asking me if I want to customize packages to
be upgraded (I say no to this) it says that some
volume have not been unmounted cleanly, reboot and
fsck them... There are no problems with any partition
so I don't understant... I even tried to boot in init
level 1 and unmounted all partitions 1 by 1 and
remounted the / read only to be sure... I checked
with fdisk and there are no other partitions than
the 3 I have...

        Any clue ? Thanx...
--
   \^/   Cordialement/Regards,
 -/ O \--Alexandre (Midnite) Jousset-----------

 -|___|----------------------------------------

2. AudioFile

3. RH 6.xx -> 7.1 | upgrade, or start from scratch

4. Driver for WD7193 SCSI HOST Adaptor

5. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled

6. Eterm registration errors

7. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled!

8. Help Me Please!!!

9. WordPerfect wouldn't start the graphical installation on RH 7.1

10. Newbie- RH 7.1 won't boot

11. Netgear FA411 ethernet pcmcia card won't run in RH 7.1

12. Anon FTP won't allow upload - RH 7.1

13. Sawfish won't start on Redhat 7.1