I am having fun with Slack, but need help with DHCP setup

I am having fun with Slack, but need help with DHCP setup

Post by Fluid Dyna » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have got all the kinks cleared out of my Slack 7 system but one.  I
will get to that in a moment.  First off, thanks for encouraging me
not to clean install, instead fix what I had done.  I learned alot and
feel a helluva lot better for it.  Second, Linux is SO much smoother
and more stable than WinNT was.  I cannot wait to give it the boot,
for good.

Now onto my one lingering problem:  Cable modems and DHCP daemons.
I have got system running great as long as I say "no" to DHCP access
in the rc.inet1 file.  However, I am now on a DHCP setup and need that
as leases are not permanent.  I downloaded the dhcpcd daemon from
metalab and installed it, but it is not loaded at boot.  If I have
DHCP uncommented in rc.inet1, then the system picks my current IP,
which I entered, and runs great as I said.  However, if I select "yes"
for DHCP in rc.inet1 then the system looks for a DHCP server until it
times out and I get a message about "eth0 media TP".

I have checked out the mans, howtos, etc but I guess it just isn't
registering.  Someone care to offer advice?

Thanks,

- The 'Mo -

I am having fun with Slack, but need help with DHCP setup

Post by gbe.. » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I recently went through the same problem.  Here is the
solution that I came up with.  In rc.inet1 check the
dhcp program being called.  On my slack setup
it called the dhcp server and not the client
(I think the files reside in /etc, but not to sure)
just change the name of the file being called
and everything should work alright.

                       Greg

Post by bill davids » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

| I recently went through the same problem.  Here is the
| solution that I came up with.  In rc.inet1 check the
| dhcp program being called.  On my slack setup
| it called the dhcp server and not the client
| (I think the files reside in /etc, but not to sure)
| just change the name of the file being called
| and everything should work alright.

  It uses dhcpd and need dhclient. Then it works first time.

--

  "Doing interesting things with little computers since 1979"(tm)
The hardest test of maturity is knowing the difference between

1. Am I having fun yet -- :(

I feel that I have a really stupid "newbie" question -- and if you flame
me I completely understand.
1) I got ATT Cable Modem-- (I got it on a USB - probably a mistake. i.e.
I got no NIC)
2) I am putting together a Server (Linux) (small grads 2 processors) and
built in NIC.
3) I would like to network the Workstation and the Server -- with
perhaps the Cable Modem going to the Server.
4) I have been told to go out and just get another NIC and adjust the
something in the "sbin\ipfdadm"
5) Right. Well, If anyone can explain this too me I would greatly
appreciate it.

regards,

neo

2. New name for Simplenews

3. fritz!x pc

4. RPM source code updates

5. Need help w/Slack. and CD-ROM setup

6. "if" and Bourne

7. Fun fun fun! :)

8. fun, fun fun

9. Need someone to take a look at a Problem I am having

10. KIllustrator: fun, fun, fun.

11. Help I am having OOP problems in Linux