firewall / routing multiple subnets

Post by Diederick van Dij » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:52:39

Hi,

We have a Linux firewall / router that handles the traffics for our
different subnets. For each new subnet we have to put a new networkcard in
our Linux box. Now it has five networkcards. Because there a two new
subnets planned and there are no more free slots in the Linux box we are
investigating what we can do. The simplest way is to add another Linux box
to the network that acts as second firewall /router. But maybe there are
other solutions. Our thoughs are going in the way of deviding the two
functions that we know have in one box. In simple text let the Linux box do
the firewalling and some other box do the routing. Has someone done such a
setup ? What kind of router did you use ? Any thoughts, tips ?

Thanks,

Diederick

Post by Seth H Holme » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:17:25

> Hi,

> We have a Linux firewall / router that handles the traffics for our
> different subnets. For each new subnet we have to put a new networkcard in
> our Linux box. Now it has five networkcards. Because there a two new
> subnets planned and there are no more free slots in the Linux box we are
> investigating what we can do. The simplest way is to add another Linux box
> to the network that acts as second firewall /router. But maybe there are
> other solutions. Our thoughs are going in the way of deviding the two
> functions that we know have in one box. In simple text let the Linux box do
> the firewalling and some other box do the routing. Has someone done such a
> setup ? What kind of router did you use ? Any thoughts, tips ?

You need something that can handle vlans. Cisco Catalyst switches come
to mind. Not a cheap solution but an effective one.

Or you need to learn how to subnet better. :)

--
Seth H Holmes