Making the NeXT a network printer?

Post by Game Mast » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello, ladies and gentlemen:

        I have an ancient (comparatively speaking) NeXT slab and printer.
80486 hardware, with an 1G SCSI drive connected externally to replace the
dead one that came with it.  That said, the slab and its companion printer
still works okay -- that is, at least it works and I can draw a postscript
figure and print it fairly well.  For its age (8 years), it's a great box.

        Well, I hate to waste a piece of perfectly good hardware.  Can I
make the NeXTStation a networked printer for a Linux box?  That would be,
in my opinion, really neato.  Can someone give me a short rundown on how?

        Thanks in advance for any answers!

Making the NeXT a network printer?

Post by Chuck Swige » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    I have an ancient (comparatively speaking) NeXT slab and printer.
> 80486 hardware,

Um, no-- black hardware was based on the Motorola 680x0.

Quote:>    Well, I hate to waste a piece of perfectly good hardware.  Can I
> make the NeXTStation a networked printer for a Linux box?  That would be,
> in my opinion, really neato.  Can someone give me a short rundown on how?

Sure.  Read 'man lpd' and or the Sysadmin documentation, set up /etc/hosts.lpd
on the print server, and create an entry in /etc/printcap on the Linux box
using rp, rm and such to refer to a remote printer.

-Chuck

       ---------------+-------------------+--------------------
       I know you are an optimist if you think I'm a pessimist.

Post by Eric Mye » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Hello, ladies and gentlemen:

>    I have an ancient (comparatively speaking) NeXT slab and printer.
>    Well, I hate to waste a piece of perfectly good hardware.  Can I
>make the NeXTStation a networked printer...

Yes, we are doing it now.  We bought a sound box from Deep Space and
connected it in place of the monitor.  The printer sits on top of the
slab just fine.  Connect the keyboard to the sound box, press Power,
and it boots up and accepts print requests from other machines on the
local network.
The keyboard can be disconnected once it's running on the network.

See `man printcap` on the Linux box to see what to put in you
printcap file, esp. rm= and rp=, and don't forget to to add hosts to
/etc/hosts.lpd on the NeXT.

Be sure to disable or restrict other network services, like sendmail
and telnet.  It is, after all, a fully functioning system, however
slow.

--

High Energy Theoretical Physics     Tel: 734-763-4325
Department of Physics               Fax: 734-763-2213

Post by amigabil » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >  Well, I hate to waste a piece of perfectly good hardware.  Can I
> > make the NeXTStation a networked printer for a Linux box?  That would be,
> > in my opinion, really neato.  Can someone give me a short rundown on how?

> Sure.  Read 'man lpd' and or the Sysadmin documentation, set up /etc/hosts.lpd
> on the print server, and create an entry in /etc/printcap on the Linux box
> using rp, rm and such to refer to a remote printer.

What about using Samba, is this protocol available for NextStep 3.3? I have a
black cube and the laser printer, and would like to be able to use this
printer from my Winblows PC and my Amiga, which are already working together
via Samba to share the PCs drive space with the Amiga... It would be nice to
use this Samba setup to also share the NeXT's printer. I've searched on
altavista for samba for nextstep but only found a page in japanese that is
supposed to explain installing samba on a nextstep 3.3j system. I
unfortunately don't read Japanese, and have the "non-j" version of 3.3, would
this Samba port work with the English version of Nextstep, if I can figure
out how to install/use it? Is there an english nextstep/samba page out there
somewhere that would be better at helping me get this working?  Thanks...

Bill Toner

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.