Installing from a networked machine

Post by Don Mil » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to setup a network of Linux boxes and those without CD's I
want to intstall from the net.
The Basic FAQ on installation says that this is possible - so do many
of the reference books I have checked, but they all say it is beyond
the remit of the document.

Does anyone know of a simple explanation on how to do this, or good
source documents explaining it?

My first allempt failed to find the server despite the fact that I am
able to mount the volume from the server on any other machine on the
net.

I am using Slackware and have used the network boot floppys to reach
the point where I attempted to mount the drive on the sever.

Many thanks in anticipation

Installing from a networked machine

Post by Dave Kran » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I've done this many times with Slackware. You need to make sure that the
kernel on the network boot floppy recognizes the network card. Then it's
just a matter of putting in the correct IP address's and path to the
Slackware directory. Good luck!
Dkz