Can i downlaod linux files in Win98 and transfer them to linux?

Can i downlaod linux files in Win98 and transfer them to linux?

Post by Slim Loa » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

I have a an ethernet connection to the internet but it only works in
Windows. I have the Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card. I'm not sure how to
dl the driver or files needed to get it working under Caledra linux. Until
then is there a way to Download onto my windows HD and tranfer the files
to the linux HD (i have 2 hard drives)and install them...i know windows
DL's in a different format or something...how can i change these files so
linux recognizes them and is able to use them...
THis way i can DL the right driver for my LAN card and get my internet
working under Linux. Could someone point me int he direction of the
ethernet card drivers i need? i have searched and searched...

any help is much appreciated!

LootFiend!

Can i downlaod linux files in Win98 and transfer them to linux?

Post by patrick.them.. » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a an ethernet connection to the internet but it only works in
> Windows. I have the Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card. I'm not sure
how to
> dl the driver or files needed to get it working under Caledra linux.
Until
> then is there a way to Download onto my windows HD and tranfer the
files
> to the linux HD (i have 2 hard drives)and install them...i know
windows
> DL's in a different format or something...how can i change these files
so
> linux recognizes them and is able to use them...
> THis way i can DL the right driver for my LAN card and get my internet
> working under Linux. Could someone point me int he direction of the
> ethernet card drivers i need? i have searched and searched...

> any help is much appreciated!

> LootFiend!

> --

one thing,
you should in most cases not need to download any drivers,
they are most probably already included in your linux distribution.

look here,http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.html
 hope you'll find your nic, and which module /driver it uses.

you can then decide to compile it fix into your kernel,
or load it as module - see modules-howto.

next thing,
you can 'mount' a vfat-partition ( = if its not ntfs or fat32) partition
under linux, and access it just like any other partition.
mkdir /winpart  creates the mount point
mount /dev/hda1  /winpart mounts the first partition on your first
eide-hd on the first controller to this directory.
read man mount

that is, if fat-support is in your kernel/modules, and your
win-partition is fat16.

ntfs is at least read-supported,write was alpha-stadium.
fat32 i do not know.

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Karlheinz Boehm » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> > I have a an ethernet connection to the internet but it only works in
> > Windows. I have the Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card. I'm not sure
> how to
> > dl the driver or files needed to get it working under Caledra linux.
> Until
> > then is there a way to Download onto my windows HD and tranfer the
> files
> > to the linux HD (i have 2 hard drives)and install them...i know
> windows
> > DL's in a different format or something...how can i change these files
> so
> > linux recognizes them and is able to use them...
> > THis way i can DL the right driver for my LAN card and get my internet
> > working under Linux. Could someone point me int he direction of the
> > ethernet card drivers i need? i have searched and searched...

> > any help is much appreciated!

> > LootFiend!

> > --

> one thing,
> you should in most cases not need to download any drivers,
> they are most probably already included in your linux distribution.

> look here,http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.html
>  hope you'll find your nic, and which module /driver it uses.

> you can then decide to compile it fix into your kernel,
> or load it as module - see modules-howto.

> next thing,
> you can 'mount' a vfat-partition ( = if its not ntfs or fat32) partition
> under linux, and access it just like any other partition.
> mkdir /winpart  creates the mount point
> mount /dev/hda1  /winpart mounts the first partition on your first

shouldn't that be:
  mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /winpart       ????

Quote:> eide-hd on the first controller to this directory.
> read man mount

> that is, if fat-support is in your kernel/modules, and your
> win-partition is fat16.

> ntfs is at least read-supported,write was alpha-stadium.
> fat32 i do not know.

> --
> '...' said the joker to the thief
> 'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...
> so let us not talk falsely now, the hour's getting late'

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

OK - but the most important fact was missed :

You CAN download linux files with Windows machines and transfer
them to you linux partitions without any problems. I've done that
pretty often here at our company. The TAR, TGZ, RPM or whatever
files will work without any problems.

1. Help about file transfer between Win98 ans Linux in a LAN

HI all

I have a LAN of 7 PCs connecting, one is a Dual-CPU and Linux OS,
the others are Win98s, the cables are 10M/100Mb based. The ISP cable
is connect to a hub and there is a router, and then to the PCs.

I have to send files to a share folder at the Linux machine, I could do so
by 2 ways, one is by FTP to 192.168.0.X and the other is by Linux's
Samba.

However I found the transferring speed is over slow, only 60KB to
transfer a 10MB file, and as for Samba, the situation is more poorer,
at most time it could take 4-5 seconds to transfer a small HTML file,
but the speed could be very fluctuating, occasionally it could be as
high as 40-50KB too.

It must go wrong somewhere, could anyone tell me where did I go wrong?
Thanks very very much.

2. Multi-Booting Win95,Linux and NT4WS with LILO?

3. File transfer between Win98 and Linux

4. alias for bash, strange behavior

5. Linux Newbie - Which ISO file to downlaod?

6. Riva 128, XSuSE driver, snow and RAM

7. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

8. X-windows Reference

9. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

10. Win98 can pin linux, linux can't see Win98

11. Linux & Win98 : problem with win98 on the linux HD

12. Linux, Win98, and DHCP--Win98 can't see outside world, Linux can

13. Transfer rate in Linux slower than Win98