Modify MTU size

Post by Gilber » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi:

We have some troubles with dial up users using ftp and pop3 on our server.
I detect that this users do not answer to ping's with packets greater than
around 1000 bytes.
It is very dificult for them to download email with some attachement for
example.
I would like to change the MTU packets size. Where do I have to make this
change ?
We are using Redhat 5.1

Many thanks
Gilbert

1. ping size and mtu size

Hello,
I set up a gateway machine with Debian woody an DSL.
Now I find that ping doesn't work with sizes greater than 1424.
After looking in this newsgroup I examined some settings of
MTU size: my /etc/peers/provider includes the following lines:

. . .
pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth1 -T 240 -m 1412
. . .
mtu 1452
. . .

Modifying the "mtu 1452" line affects the possible ping size,
but it is always limited to about 20...30 bytes lower than the
mtu value.

What to do for sending greater pings i.e. breaking / reassembling
greater packets into pieces?

Thanks in advance,
Uwe

2. sharing a monitor between two computers

3. "Ping" packet size vs. MTU size?

4. dynamic web page rewrite

5. How to modify MTU value under DIP slip mode ?

6. DNS Setup

7. Modify MTU

8. Applix for linux

9. Modifying MTU in SunOS4.1.2

10. Setting MTU size in SunOS 4.1.3

11. dhcp autoconfig and MTU size

12. OpenSwan <--> FreeSwan mtu size problem