DNS QUESTION

Post by Bill Rom » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

How can I make our NameServer respond Authortatively for a domain name
owned by someone else?

Thanks!!

DNS QUESTION

Post by Rhys Thury » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: How can I make our NameServer respond Authortatively for a domain name
: owned by someone else?

Just set it up as a secondary name server to that domain.  Every so
often, your name server will do a zone transfer to get the .db files for
the domain, and will respond authoritatively to queries on that domain.

Please read the groups for replies.

--------
If you can lead it to water and force it to drink, it isn't a horse.

Got a Linux problem?  Or can you help others solve them?  Visit the Linux
Common Problems page at http://vortex.cc.missouri.edu/~rhys/linux.html

1. DNS Question

New to linux... sorry ;-)

I set up my first linux box. I have it serving web pages across my lan
(used for testing websites that I later post to a hosting service.) Also
have it set up as a printer server via samba/cups so I don't have to
leave my "main" windows xp box on all the time. So far so good.

Now I'd like to setup DNS... I think.

What I'd like to do is allow any user on the LAN (fixed machines and
visitor's laptops connected via 802.11g)  to simply type something like
"homesite" in their browser's address field and have that take them to
my little internal site where I will have information for setting up to
print to my printer, a link to the cups administration page to they can
see their print jobs, a link to my TurtleBeach AudioTrons (which stream
music off a central NAS), etc.

My initial look into this leads me to believe I need to set the linux
box up as a DNS. I would intercept the "homesite" request and return the
ip address of my LAN website. All other requests would get forwarded to
my ISP's DNS.

Is that right?

Of course... this would require the user to tell their OS about this DNS
instead of the default they get from my wireless router. Which leads me
to wonder... how do hotels and hotspots do it? In those cases, when I
connect wirelessly, regardless of the address I try to browse to, they
direct me to a "sign in page" or the like, and don't allow me to connect
to other addresses until I take some action (e.g. accept usage terms,
enter account info, etc.)

Anyone know how that works? Anyone have any links to info?

Thanks,
Buzz

2. Clear Screen in C for unix platform

3. DNS questions

4. linux without video hardware

5. Simple firewall and DNS question

6. XFree86 3.1.2 + ATI MACH32 + Netscape 3.01 = system lock up!

7. simple dns question

8. UUCP T3000 entry

9. DNS question

10. dns question