Is RedHat configured for Email via dial-up ISPs?

Post by James Youngma » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

  Jez> Is the plain vanilla RedHat distribution (4.1) configured for
  Jez> automatically sending and receiving email via dial-up ISPs?

Yes, use the "fetchmail" package from the CD.

Is RedHat configured for Email via dial-up ISPs?

Post by Jez Pa » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Yes, use the "fetchmail" package from the CD.

I already have that installed, so does that mean it should work for me
"out of the box?" I can't say I have noticed it yet.

BTW is the sendmail also ready to use "as is?"

Jez Page, Manchester UK

Is RedHat configured for Email via dial-up ISPs?

Post by Jez Pa » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Is the plain vanilla RedHat distribution (4.1) configured for
automatically sending and receiving email via dial-up ISPs?

At the moment the only successful way I can collect or send my mail in
Linux is to use Netscape, which I feel is like trying to crack a
walnut with a sledgehammer. All I want is to be able to do is compile
and read my mail and then let Linux do all the necessary posting and
retrieving when I go on-line.

Nothing I have yet read in the NAG, FAQs and HOWTOs has given me a
clear plain english answer to this.

I get the impression that fetchmail is the thing to use in daemon
mode. Should I be putting someting into the login script? What setup
have others got?

Also, how should my mail clients and MDA be configured for sending
mail? Using Pine is fine for sending mail within my local machine (not
necessary, just to test), but when I configure it for external mail by
giving an SMTP address it reports that it is unable to connect to the
server (because I am off-line). Surely sendmail should be setup so
that it buffers any outgoing mail until it possible to send?

Ideally could someone point me to some on-line documentation that
would give me guidance on this, as the existing docs seems to be
geared more to those of us with full blown networks.

Jez Page, Manchester UK

Post by James Youngma » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

  Jez> On 14 Oct 1997 17:54:36 +0100, James Youngman

  >> Yes, use the "fetchmail" package from the CD.

  Jez> I already have that installed, so does that mean it should work
  Jez> for me "out of the box?" I can't say I have noticed it yet.

You have to run it :-)   -- see the manpage for more info.

  Jez> BTW is the sendmail also ready to use "as is?"

Yep.

  Jez> Jez Page, Manchester UK

James Youngman, also Manchester UK.

Is RedHat configured for Email via dial-up ISPs?

Post by Mark Neil » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I already have that installed, so does that mean it should work for me
> "out of the box?" I can't say I have noticed it yet.

> BTW is the sendmail also ready to use "as is?"

> Jez Page, Manchester UK

  I missed the first half of this mail, so sorry if I missed something.

   Sendmail, out of the box, is set up 'to use DNS'.  By that, it means
your resolver routines must work.  It doesn't matter how they work (ISP
nameserver, local nameserver, whatever), as long as they work.

   Fetchmail is only a POP mail client, though it can be used for other
delivery uses, none of which substitute for sendmail, which is an MTA
(mail transport agent), not an MDA (mail delivery agent).

--Mark Neill

--
Cannot find REALITY.SYS.  Universe Halted.

Post by Paul Blac » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> >  Jez> BTW is the sendmail also ready to use "as is?"

> >Yep.

> That's promising.

> One of things I have found is that it may be set to only run every 2
> hours - not much use as the chances of it starting up during the time
> I am on-line is almost zero. I have changed it to once every 2
> minutes, and attempted to post to a friend of mine. Hopefully that
> works.

> Should my mail clients (incl. Netscape) have the setting
> SMTP host=localhost
> or similar to ensure that sendmail?

I have sendmail running all the time. It queues mail
until it is able to reach the remote site (or rejects it
after a configurable timeout - default 5 days I think).
Set all software to use localhost as the mail machine.
When you connect to your ISP, execute "sendmail -q"
to clear the queue.

Paul

Is RedHat configured for Email via dial-up ISPs?

Post by Jez Pa » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>You have to run it :-)   -- see the manpage for more info.

Yes very clever, but there can be a lot of info to wade through
sometimes. Besides in most cases sendmail will be started during the
boot process, so "running it" is pointless.

Quote:>  Jez> BTW is the sendmail also ready to use "as is?"

>Yep.

That's promising.

One of things I have found is that it may be set to only run every 2
hours - not much use as the chances of it starting up during the time
I am on-line is almost zero. I have changed it to once every 2
minutes, and attempted to post to a friend of mine. Hopefully that
works.

Should my mail clients (incl. Netscape) have the setting
SMTP host=localhost
or similar to ensure that sendmail?

Any more thoughts on fetchmail (apart from "running it") would be
useful. Maybe as with sendmail it is not being run at the right times.
Do my mail clients have to point to localhost as the mail delivery
server?

Jez Page, Manchester UK

Post by Jez Pag » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I have sendmail running all the time. It queues mail
> until it is able to reach the remote site (or rejects it
> after a configurable timeout - default 5 days I think).
> Set all software to use localhost as the mail machine.
> When you connect to your ISP, execute "sendmail -q"
> to clear the queue.

> Paul

Great, that helps me a bit more. Presumably I should put "sendmail -q"
in my dial-up script or something?

Any more on fetchmail anyone?

--
Jez Page

If two people love each other, there can be no happy end to it.

Post by Scott Willse » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> At the moment the only successful way I can collect or send my mail in
> Linux is to use Netscape, which I feel is like trying to crack a
> walnut with a sledgehammer. All I want is to be able to do is compile
> and read my mail and then let Linux do all the necessary posting and
> retrieving when I go on-line.

I'm not the greatest source in the world to ask, because I'm pretty
fuzzy on some of this stuff myself, but here's how I got it to work:

I have a file in /var/spool/cron named root (do not edit directly, do a
man on cron or crontab):

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.18059 installed on Mon Sep 22 03:23:01 1997)
# (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp
$)
05,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55,0 * * * * /usr/local/etc/poll.mail2

In other words, I set up a cron job as root to execute the file
/usr/local/etc/poll.mail2 every 5 minutes.

Now, that file (poll.mail2) contains the following:

 #! /bin/bash
    # Poll for mail
    # May be run either by cron or at will by the superuser.

    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/etc:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin

    # See if we already have PPP running
    if netstat -nr | grep ppp0 >/dev/null
    then
        fetchmail -k -f /root/.fetchmail2rc
        case $? in      0) :;;                   # no problem
                    1) echo No mail to collect;;
                    2) echo Could not open socket;;
                    3) echo User authentication failed;;
                    4) echo Fatal protocol error;;
                    5) echo syntax error in fetchmail command;;
                    6) echo Bad permissions for run control file;;
                    7) echo Server error reported;;
                    8) echo Exclusion error;;
                    9) echo SMTP failure;;
                    10) echo Undefined error \(bug in fetchmail\);;
                    *) echo Totally unexpected error in fetchmail;;
        esac

        # Send anything we have for the outside world
        sendmail -q
    fi

Please note that the -k switch in the fetchmail command means that
retrieved mail is NOT deleted from the server. I do this because I also
access my mail from in NT and that's where my wife checks her mail.

The .fetcmail2rc referenced which is in the /root directory contains the
following:

server mail.calweb.com protocol pop3 username hangtown password
insertpasswordhere

Finally, I was not receiving messages in pine from the spool until I
made a file in my home directory for user hangtown containing the
following, and called .procmailrc:

LOCKFILE=
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin:
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
DEFAULT=/var/spool/mail/hangtown
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

With all those pieces in place I was able to send and receive mail using
pine.  The mail is sent and retrieved only when I'm online thanks to the
poll.mail2 script.

Good luck, and like I said, I apologize for not being able to explain in
great detail, but I basically got it working as a learning exercise and
am not using pine for the most part. At the moment, I do not have this
job in the cron directory at all.  Some of these steps may be
unnecessary or sub optimally implemented, but it does work...

Scott

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I booted into linux this particular
time because I happened to feel like
it. No political or philosophical
ideals, real or imaginary, motivated
my choice of OS at the moment. Period.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Is RedHat configured for Email via dial-up ISPs?

Post by Jez Pa » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:29:59 -0700, Scott Willsey

>I'm not the greatest source in the world to ask, because I'm pretty
>fuzzy on some of this stuff myself, but here's how I got it to work:

>I have a file in /var/spool/cron named root (do not edit directly, do a
>man on cron or crontab):

># DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
># (/tmp/crontab.18059 installed on Mon Sep 22 03:23:01 1997)
># (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp
>$)
>05,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55,0 * * * * /usr/local/etc/poll.mail2

(Snip)

Great, more helpful ideas. This could be what I need.

The lastest is: I have managed to successfully retrieve mail by
entering fetchmail -k from the command line, so my .fetchmailrc file
must be just about right. All I have to now is possibly change the
settings such as "envelope" as all the mail goes straight into the
inbox of the user running fetchmail instead of the proper addressee (
my ISP provides mail via multidrop mailboxes).

Instead of using cron couldn't I use the daemon mode of fetchmail and
run that from my init process? What started all this off was when I
tried to be too clever early on and attempted to run the daemon mode
before properly checking everything else. I thought this time I would
ask others advice before diving in.

Jez Page, Manchester UK

Post by James Youngma » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

  Jez> One of things I have found is that it may be set to only run
  Jez> every 2 hours - not much use as the chances of it starting up
  Jez> during the time I am on-line is almost zero. I have changed it
  Jez> to once every 2 minutes, and attempted to post to a friend of
  Jez> mine. Hopefully that works.

You can always tell it manually to process the queue:-
# sendmail -q

  Jez> Should my mail clients (incl. Netscape) have the setting SMTP
  Jez> host=localhost or similar to ensure that sendmail?

Yep.

  Jez> Any more thoughts on fetchmail (apart from "running it") would
  Jez> be useful. Maybe as with sendmail it is not being run at the
  Jez> right times.

I always ran it manually after dialling up.

You may want to put "fetchmail" in a script with "sendmail -q" that
gets run when the link comes up.

  Jez> Do my mail clients have to point to localhost as
  Jez> the mail delivery server?

  Jez> Jez Page, Manchester UK

Is RedHat configured for Email via dial-up ISPs?

Post by wra.. » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Is the plain vanilla RedHat distribution (4.1) configured for
> automatically sending and receiving email via dial-up ISPs?
> Jez Page, Manchester UK

I use fetchmail and sendmail to get/send mail and Communicator to read/compose
it. (You could use the mail command but communicator is nicer. this both have
man pages and are easy to set up and maintain

--

---------------------------
 member: force9 usergroup

Is RedHat configured for Email via dial-up ISPs?

Post by wra.. » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> BTW is the sendmail also ready to use "as is?"

You need to edit ~/.fetchmailrc (see the man pages) and run it at conect time
(through /etc/ip-up)

Sendmail 'should' work ok F.T.B

Remember you will have to change navigator/communicator settings to something
like

mail server (SMTP/outgoing) localhost
mail server (POP3/incoming)  Set to internal movemail
--

---------------------------
 member: force9 usergroup

1. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

You are better off borrowing/buying/stealing a CD and loading a fresh 2.7
install.
From what I've heard, there are issues with upgrading via CVS.  Plus, it's
_SLOW_.
Trust me. If you don't have the cash (US $30, I believe) you could probably
ask
somebody to copy their 2.7 CD for you (hint,hint).  Of course, buying the CD
makes
OBSD 2.8 and higher a possibility, which is a Good Thing.

Good luck.

2. solaris 10 Fast Data Access MMU Miss

3. Exchanging email with an ISP over a dial-up connection

4. non-X JPEG viewer?

5. Email solution for OpenBSD with dial-up ISP (POP3/SMTP)

6. vi command reference (KISS)

7. Configuring Solaris x86 NFS/FTP or ISP dial-up Internet Access

8. Smaller Xwindow?

9. CompuServe PPP dial-up via RedHat 4.0?

10. How to send email via my isp's smtp server with sendmail: SuSE 8.0

11. How to Dial-in to an ISP via UNIX workstation ?

12. permanent dial up's to ISP via router