200Kb/s for Samba & Xceed?

Post by Armando L. Caro Jr » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have two machines that I would like to hook up, one running Linux and
one running Win95.  The problem is that one with Win95 doesn't have room
for a network card, so I plan to use a Pocket Ethernet adaptor that hooks
up to a parallel port.  These adaptors provide about 200Kb/s, and I am
curious if this should be sufficient.  I would like to run Xceed on the
Win95 machine, but I am not sure if the remote Xapps (probably a couple of
xterms, etc) will have enough bandwidth to run.  I would also like to run
Samba on the Linux box.

Does 200Kb/s sound too limited for my needs?  Please email me your

Thank you,
Armando

* University of Delaware  *   WWW: http://udel.edu/~acaro          *

200Kb/s for Samba & Xceed?

Post by Colin McKinno » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have two machines that I would like to hook up, one running Linux and
>one running Win95.  The problem is that one with Win95 doesn't have room
>for a network card, so I plan to use a Pocket Ethernet adaptor that hooks
>up to a parallel port.  These adaptors provide about 200Kb/s, and I am
>curious if this should be sufficient

With the amount of traffic on my LAN, the speed probably drops below 20Kb
frequently. *HOWEVER* this is not quite the same as your situation - I
presume that your Pocket adaptar really runs at one of the standard speeds
when speaking ethernet, I would guess at 10Mbs, but that it will only speak
to the PC at around 200Kb - this would mean that it would drop a lot of
packets on a network of two computers - you're Linux box would be repeating
itself a lot, and the repeat packets would be competing for bandwidth with
packets which the pocket Win95 machine will end up dropping, resulting in
lower net thru'put.
Have you considered using a point to point connection instead - if you use
the dial-up scripting tool on Windows 95 you can bypass the dialling stuff,
but your hardware may not do high speed serial (>115 Kbs) stuff.
You could try to be sneaky and hack a PLIP connection (like a SLIP
connection but on parallel ports) on the Win95 PC - Linux can handle the
other end.

Colin

Colin