bsd_comp.o needed for 2.4.18-27.7.x kernel

bsd_comp.o needed for 2.4.18-27.7.x kernel

Post by ynotsso » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:05:44

Greetings,

We have a small, specialized machine at a remote location that is collecting data and occasionally using wvdial and pppd to connect
and upload the data.

The pppd has log entries: "modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-21", which means that the bsd_comp.o module, which compresses
the data for transmission, can't be found. We don't have enough disk space on this remote cheapy to hold the kernel-sources and
compile the module in place, as we need that disk space to spool the data.

Is there anywhere where the pre-compiled module can be found? The OS is RH7.1 with 2.4.18-27.7.x kernel.

Thanks.

        tony

--
use hotmail com for any email replies

Post by Clifford Kit » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:23:14

> We have a small, specialized machine at a remote location that is
> collecting data and occasionally using wvdial and pppd to connect
> and upload the data.
> The pppd has log entries: "modprobe: Can't locate module
> ppp-compress-21", which means that the bsd_comp.o module, which
> compresses the data for transmission, can't be found. We don't have
> enough disk space on this remote cheapy to hold the kernel-sources
> and compile the module in place, as we need that disk space to
> spool the data.

Do you really need BSD CCP; does the peer actually support it?  Modems
compress data and any CCP algorithm is only going to help with data that
it happens to compress significantly better.

I'd just put

alias ppp-compress-21 off

in /etc/modules.conf to get rid of the messages and forget it.

Quote:> Is there anywhere where the pre-compiled module can be found? The
> OS is RH7.1 with 2.4.18-27.7.x kernel.

Sorry, no RH experience whatever.

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/
/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife.
   Use =} to wrap paragraphs in vi.  Or put   map ^] !}fmt -72^M   in
   ~/.exrc and use ^] to wrap to 72 columns or whatever you choose. */

bsd_comp.o needed for 2.4.18-27.7.x kernel

Post by ynotsso » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:43:33

Quote:> Do you really need BSD CCP; does the peer actually support it?  Modems
> compress data and any CCP algorithm is only going to help with data
> that it happens to compress significantly better.

> I'd just put

> alias ppp-compress-21 off

> in /etc/modules.conf to get rid of the messages and forget it.

Well, it's several dozen MB of plain text data that's been gzipped, and is sent twice daily over a 26.4 Kbps dialup connection
(remote location), so anything that speeds up the data transfer is welcomed, and yes the peer supports it.

I don't know if that particular algorithm will allow any more compression of the gzip file, but it would be good to make a
comparison of transfer times and see if we gain any economy.

        tony

--

Post by Clifford Kit » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:15:07

>> Do you really need BSD CCP; does the peer actually support it?  Modems
>> compress data and any CCP algorithm is only going to help with data
>> that it happens to compress significantly better.

>> I'd just put

>> alias ppp-compress-21 off

>> in /etc/modules.conf to get rid of the messages and forget it.
> Well, it's several dozen MB of plain text data that's been gzipped,
> and is sent twice daily over a 26.4 Kbps dialup connection (remote
> location), so anything that speeds up the data transfer is welcomed,
> and yes the peer supports it.
> I don't know if that particular algorithm will allow any more
> compression of the gzip file, but it would be good to make a
> comparison of transfer times and see if we gain any economy.

I don't know with absolute certainly either, but the data for a already
compressed file is usually close to being uniformly distributed and no
compression algorithm will help much - not even the modem compression.

--

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/
/* Speak softly and carry a sucker rod (See man syslogd, footnote to

1. upgrade to kernel 2.4.18-27.7.xsmp -> driver no longer compiles

Hello,

I just upgraded kernels using the RedHat up2date feature.  I use several -I
\dir\dir\... directives in the CFLAGS declaration to get the proper headers
loaded.  For example, in Makefile:

KERNEL_DIR = /usr/src/linux-2.4

CFLAGS = -I $(KERNEL_DIR_/include

Since upgrading, the -I directives are not being used - it looks like the
CFLAGS is being ignored completely.

Sadly, the boss and customer expect me to fix the driver, not fart around
trying to figure out how to build it.  This has been working for months, and
only appears to break after the upgrade to the new kernel.  I can find
nothing by searching the web or the Redhad site.

What could this be?

Thanks,

Evan

2. SYSV IPC docs

3. Busy inodes, NFS, and oops on Redhat's 2.4.18-27.7.xsmp

4. Can I use "try...catch.." on Linux?

5. RAID1/5, SMP 2.4.18-27.7-xsmp, EXT3 and file system corruption

6. BASH bootup sequence????

7. Linux Kernel Crash - Vanilla 2.4.18/Redhat 2.4.18-5

8. Timely thread! Recovering lost files.

9. Linux Kernel Crash - Vanilla 2.4.18/Redhat 2.4.18-5 (2nd try =) )

10. what is the difference between 2.4.18-14 and 2.4.18-17.8.0

11. Very High Load on Disk Activity in 2.4.18 (and 2.4.18-pre8)

12. newnat13-and-helpers-2.4.18.gz Failed to patch with linux 2.4.18 kernel?

13. dmi_scan.c, kernel 2.4.18: Another Sony Vaio needing swab_apm_power_in_minutes