Samba on (RH5) Linux likes 95 but hates NT?

Samba on (RH5) Linux likes 95 but hates NT?

Post by Kevin Mart » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Same machine has no problem attaching to a "share" on my Linux box
when booted under 95 -- but when I reboot into NT, I consistently
get "The account is not authorized to log on from this station."

The smbd is version 1.9.17p4.  All other activity (ftp, telnet,
etc) work between the machines, no problem.  No hosts.allow or
hosts.deny problems.  **And the Linux box can smbmount the NT
machine!**

I was careful to use the same login name and IP address as I did
under 95.  Is there some kind of cookie or other magic going on
that makes Linux/samba think that this isn't the same machine?
Or what?

Samba on (RH5) Linux likes 95 but hates NT?

Post by Kevin Mart » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Thanks to everyone who responded -- it's an NT Registry issue,
related to Service Pack 3.  This fixes it:

Quote:>Run regedt32 (not regedit)
>From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to:

   \system\currentcontrolset\services\rdr\parameters

Quote:>Click Add Value on the Edit menu.
>Add:
>Value Name: EnablePlainTextPassword
>Data Type: REG_DWORD
>Data: 1
>Reboot NT, problem solved!

?  Same machine has no problem attaching to a "share" on my Linux box
?  when booted under 95 -- but when I reboot into NT, I consistently
?  get "The account is not authorized to log on from this station."

Samba on (RH5) Linux likes 95 but hates NT?

Post by Fred W. Noltie Jr » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

[snip]
> but when I reboot into NT, I consistently
> get "The account is not authorized to log on from this station."

> The smbd is version 1.9.17p4.  All other activity (ftp, telnet,
> etc) work between the machines, no problem.  No hosts.allow or
> hosts.deny problems.  **And the Linux box can smbmount the NT
> machine!**

I am getting this *exact* error message myself, with the very latest RPM
of Samba from their website:  samba-1.9.18p3-50.2.i386.rpm (this a RH5
box). The NT box is NT4WS, with SP3 and IE4. The two boxes can see each
other just fine for telnet and ping.

The Samba share does not show in Network Neighborhood, but if I enter
the server name manually -- "\\burns\" (minus the quotes), I get a 30-60
sec. delay, then a username/password request (username and password are
identical on both boxes), another 15-30 sec. delay, and then the same
error you posted (the first mention of the error message I've been able
to find). I get the same results if I use a FQDN too. Running the tests
in Diagnostics.txt that came with the Samba rpm gave the following
results: complete success until it came to "net use x: \\BIGSERVER\TMP",
where I returned to my original error message. hosts/allow & hosts/deny
are fine. The NT box is listed in my smb.conf hosts allow line.

What is my/our major malfunction???

Thanks in advance,

Fred
--
Fred W. Noltie Jr.
Criterion Consulting

Running Linux 2.0.33

Post by Aaron Newsom » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Same machine has no problem attaching to a "share" on my Linux box
> when booted under 95 -- but when I reboot into NT, I consistently
> get "The account is not authorized to log on from this station."

> The smbd is version 1.9.17p4.  All other activity (ftp, telnet,
> etc) work between the machines, no problem.  No hosts.allow or
> hosts.deny problems.  **And the Linux box can smbmount the NT
> machine!**

> I was careful to use the same login name and IP address as I did
> under 95.  Is there some kind of cookie or other magic going on
> that makes Linux/samba think that this isn't the same machine?
> Or what?

I belive the problem is well covered in FAQ's and also in the WINNT.TXT
(or something like that) file that comes with Samba.

If your NT computer has SP3 installed, you'll need to edit the registry
and configure your computer to allow unencrypted passwords, or sompile
the encrypted stuff into Samba.

For me it was just easier to edit the registry. I think it is located in
the Redirector key, and the parameter is called
AllowUnencryptedPasswords. This is probably not a good idea for a box
connected to the internet either.

Good luck
--
Aaron Newsome

office: 714-932-7321
pager:  714-810-9205

Samba on (RH5) Linux likes 95 but hates NT?

Post by Michael Ruel » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: >
: [snip]
[...]

One problem that comes up alot in NT to Samba Communication is a problem
that Service Pack 3 introduced. It has to do with Plain Text Authorization
try the following fix (posted a while back by tim somehting can't remember
the guys name) and see if it solves your problem:

Run regedt32 (not regedit)

From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to:

Data: 1

Exit and reboot; it should work now.

--

Puritanism: The haunting fear that somehow,
somewhere, someone may be happy

1. Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

Hello,

I'm using Samba to connect several PC together.
I installed Samba without problems.
1. My printer is a canon LBP 1260+. Can anyone tell me which filter shall I
use ?
2. When I try to log on the Linux Server from a Win95 PC, Win95 asks me for
the passwd but not for the login name.
        What I forgot to configure ?

Thanks a lot for your help

        Remy

2. 2.4.20-rc2, ATYFB, kernel freeze

3. Samba problem - linux box shows up for NT, not 95

4. ipc kernel parameter

5. Mouse Likes DOS but hates Linux

6. MDK9.0 and Walmart SYSMAR 710

7. Samba:with NT ok, with 95 no

8. 12"1 TFT LCD and Modeline

9. FIX for problems connecting 95/98/NT to Samba servers

10. FreeBSD-Samba-Windows 95/NT

11. Samba and Win 95/98/NT: Workgroup or Domain ?

12. Liked Roxen in the past but hate the newer versions?

13. I HATE SAMBA and NT!!!!