SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Post by CRAS » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hie there,

                I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to configure
my Linux to enable networking.

My system is a 166MMX PC installed with Slackware 3.4

                I tried to perform the following to eable networking :

1.    did "make config" in the /usr/src/linux directoryafter I have su to
the superuser root.

2.    After completing the configuration, proceeded to set the dependencies
within the kernel and clean out old object modules by typing "make dep" then
"make clean" after the first one has been completed

3.       Next I then compiled the kernel by typing "make zImage"

What bothered me is what I saw in the last few lines of the output at the
end of the compilation which goes as follows

"Root device is (3,2)
Boot sector 512 bytes
Setup is 4336 bytes
System is 560 KB
System is too big
Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "

4.         Install the 'newly compiled kernel' by typing "make
modules_install" . The output then output was that THE FILE REQUIRED IS
MISSING. ( something about *.o)

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON. I BADLY WANT TO USE LINUX AND
REMOVE WINDOW95 FROM MY SYSTEM.

SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Post by CRAS » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hie there,

                I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to configure
my Linux to enable networking.

My system is a 166MMX PC installed with Slackware 3.4

Only recently, I have just successfully recompiled my kernal to enable
networking. I have tested by using the ping utility. Next i moved on to
configure pppd. To my surprise, a number of confuiguration files are not
residing in the /etc/ppp directory. They are :

1. options.*
2. chap-secrets
3. pap-secrets
4. ip-up
5. ip-down

Does anyone know why these configuration files are not present in the
directory ? Without these files, is it still possible to configure pppd ???

A million thanks

SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Post by Raymond Doetje » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

You should do a make aboot when your kernels are to big.
Or what is better you should make stuff in modules format. about 40% of the
stuff you put in to your kernel aren't used on a regular basis. So modules
keep the system fast. And when you need any you can invoke a insmod an
done.

Raymond

Quote:> Hie there,

>                 I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to
configure
> my Linux to enable networking.

> My system is a 166MMX PC installed with Slackware 3.4

>                 I tried to perform the following to eable networking :

> 1.    did "make config" in the /usr/src/linux directoryafter I have su to
> the superuser root.

> 2.    After completing the configuration, proceeded to set the
dependencies
> within the kernel and clean out old object modules by typing "make dep"
then
> "make clean" after the first one has been completed

> 3.       Next I then compiled the kernel by typing "make zImage"

> What bothered me is what I saw in the last few lines of the output at the
> end of the compilation which goes as follows

> "Root device is (3,2)
> Boot sector 512 bytes
> Setup is 4336 bytes
> System is 560 KB
> System is too big
> Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
> Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
> Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "

> 4.         Install the 'newly compiled kernel' by typing "make
> modules_install" . The output then output was that THE FILE REQUIRED IS
> MISSING. ( something about *.o)

> CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON. I BADLY WANT TO USE LINUX AND
> REMOVE WINDOW95 FROM MY SYSTEM.

SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Post by Matt Chipma » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

These are all in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts  dir on my machine

cya
Matt

Quote:>                I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to
configure
>my Linux to enable networking.

--snip--

To my surprise, a number of confuiguration files are not

Quote:>residing in the /etc/ppp directory. They are :

Post by Mike Burg » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> 1.    did "make config" in the /usr/src/linux directoryafter I have su to
> the superuser root.

> 2.    After completing the configuration, proceeded to set the dependencies
> within the kernel and clean out old object modules by typing "make dep" then
> "make clean" after the first one has been completed

> 3.       Next I then compiled the kernel by typing "make zImage"

Unfortunately, all the replies to this thread, which I've seen, forget
to tell you one important step.

After running your "make dep ; make clean", and before "make zimage"
or "make zlilo"...you need to run "make".  Before you can make the
image, or the lilo entry, you need to actually compile the kernel.
That is probably why "make zImage" was giving you all those errors.

+----------------------------------------------+----------------------
-------------------+
| Michael Burger                | To send mail directly,                 |
| CompuCom Information  | reply to:                      |
| Services                      |                                |

| http://www.compucomis.net       |                                |
+----------------------------------------------+----------------------
-------------------+

Post by Kevin Mart » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Unfortunately, all the replies to this thread, which I've seen, forget
>to tell you one important step.

>After running your "make dep ; make clean", and before "make zimage"
>or "make zlilo"...you need to run "make".

1)  This is completely and utterly wrong.  'make zImage' DOES compile the
kernel.  Try it and see.

2)  Please don't try to help a poster who uses such a stupid and USELESS
Subject line as this one did.  People who post with such Subject lines
should be firmly (even stubbornly) directed to fix them before they get ANY
help.

Why?  Because: "If you don't train the puppy, you'll always have puddles."

SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Post by M. Buchenried » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>System is 560 KB
>System is too big
>Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
>Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
>Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "

[...]

Quote:>CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON. I BADLY WANT TO USE LINUX AND
>REMOVE WINDOW95 FROM MY SYSTEM.

You didn't read the "Changes" part in /usr/src/linux/Documentation .
Your present kernel is indeed too big (too many drivers compiled in),
so "make zImage" fails. Do a "make bzImage" instead.

Michael

Post by James Youngma » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Setup is 4336 bytes
> System is 560 KB
> System is too big
> Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
> Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
> Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "

See /usr/src/linux/README.

--

Post by Eugen » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Hie there,

>                I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to
configure
>my Linux to enable networking.

>My system is a 166MMX PC installed with Slackware 3.4

>                I tried to perform the following to eable networking :

>1.    did "make config" in the /usr/src/linux directoryafter I have su to
>the superuser root.

try make menuconfig or make xconfig (if you're running X)

Quote:>2.    After completing the configuration, proceeded to set the dependencies
>within the kernel and clean out old object modules by typing "make dep"
then
>"make clean" after the first one has been completed

>3.       Next I then compiled the kernel by typing "make zImage"

>What bothered me is what I saw in the last few lines of the output at the
>end of the compilation which goes as follows

>"Root device is (3,2)
>Boot sector 512 bytes
>Setup is 4336 bytes
>System is 560 KB
>System is too big
>Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
>Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
>Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "

compile error. Configure and compile it again.

Quote:>4.         Install the 'newly compiled kernel' by typing "make
>modules_install" . The output then output was that THE FILE REQUIRED IS
>MISSING. ( something about *.o)

start over: (after saving config)
make clean
make dep
make zImage
make modules
make modules_install

(looks like you missed a few steps)

then copy the kernel to /boot and edit /etc/lilo.conf

see www.linux.org/help for more info

SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Post by Angelo maffi » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

after 'make dep' and 'make clean', issue the 'make bzImage' instead of
'make zImage'. This would also compile bigger kernel.
On my machine, it works.
Regards.
Angelo

SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Post by dtou.. » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:40:35 +0100, Angelo maffia

>after 'make dep' and 'make clean', issue the 'make bzImage' instead of
>'make zImage'. This would also compile bigger kernel.
>On my machine, it works.
>Regards.
>Angelo

Thats it...  wondering why all before wrote such funny things about
the error... However the solution of using modules instead is more
elegant and runs better.

Do not forget to change "make zLilo" to "make bzLilo" and to copy the
results to /vmlinuz.

Hope this helps

D. Toussi
_______________________________
Lacho calad, drego morn!
(J.R.R: Tolkien)

1. SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

[...]

2. What can i use to alert me if a server is down?

3. SOS SOS SOS

4. Slave disk

5. Display Driver for Linux/XFree86

6. S.O.S.- S.O.S. Problems Installing Linux from Spain

7. XF86Config for Diamond Stealth 24

8. SOS - question on accton - SOS

10. SOS xfree86 is not working SOS please HELPPP

11. HELP!! HELP!! /etc moved SOS!! SOS!!