browsing web became very slow after IPtables firewall

browsing web became very slow after IPtables firewall

Post by Philip Shen » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 05:43:45

I installed Redhat Enterprise version 3.0 on a Dell PC. After I configured
the firewall through IPTables, browsing Internet in Mozilla became very
slow. It took 15 seconds or more to show the first page of www.msnbc.com. My
computer is directly connected to the Internet and I only use the filter
table in the firewall. Any ideas about what is wrong?

This is what I have in the /etc/sysconfig/iptables
=================================
*filter
:INPUT DROP [0:0]
:FORWARD DROP [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
COMMIT

Thanks,

Philip

1. iptables, NAT and web browsing delay

I have iptables setup to do nat and one machine behind it

here is the script:

$IPT -P INPUT DROP
$IPT -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
$IPT -P FORWARD ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -d $INET_IP -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j DROP

When I bring up internet explorer on the natted machine, it take about 5
seconds to get to any website. Any subsequent web site will come up
instantly.

Question is what is the cause of this initial delay? When I change the
address back to a real internet ip, I dont get this delay.

Thanks

2. UNIX RPC client, NT RPC server

3. DMZ's Sun machines become slow after connect to PIX firewall

4. Nic upgrade & on Cable/nat, problems

5. Web browsing slow?

6. WinDD experience

7. slow web browsing

8. POP/sendmail etc.. HELP!!

9. Web browsing problems on LAN through RH7.2 ipchains firewall

10. Why does enabling firewall disallow web browsing?

11. FTP start fast, then become slow and slow...

12. iptables firewall making smtp/pop3 slow in response

13. PPP slow. Browsing slow but download fast