How do it synchronize my system clock with an atomic clock ?

How do it synchronize my system clock with an atomic clock ?

Post by Max Heijndi » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:07:10

I want to synchronize my system clock to an atomic clock on a server in America.
I have done this before with the Webmin graphical configuration tool.
Now I want to do that with a shell script, so I can deinstall Webmin.

--

    Climate Control - experimental music: http://go.to/cchq/
    My Linux-related site: http://go.to/conmen/

Post by Michael Heimin » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:21:27

> I want to synchronize my system clock to an atomic clock on a server in America.
> I have done this before with the Webmin graphical configuration tool.
> Now I want to do that with a shell script, so I can deinstall Webmin.

man netdate

and check how webmin does this, on your machine.

Michael Heiming

> --

>     Climate Control - experimental music: http://go.to/cchq/
>     My Linux-related site: http://go.to/conmen/

How do it synchronize my system clock with an atomic clock ?

Post by Dean Thompso » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:06:24

Hi Max,

Quote:> I want to synchronize my system clock to an atomic clock on a server in
> America. I have done this before with the Webmin graphical configuration
> tool. Now I want to do that with a shell script, so I can deinstall Webmin.

You might like to take a look at installing the NTP client/server for your
machine.  NTP can be found at: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/.  You can
either run a server which runs all the time and sync's your clock or you can
use the ntpupdate program which can connect periodically and set the time.

It just depends on whether you want a server running around or whether you
don't mind just executing the ntpupdate file every so-often.

Hope this helps.

See ya

Dean Thompson

How do it synchronize my system clock with an atomic clock ?

Post by Emmett Jam » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 11:16:59

On a dial-up link, you should consider chrony.  If you have a 24x7
connection, ntpd would be a good choice.  I've used chrony on a
dial-up link for over a year and it works great.

Post by Max Heijndi » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:08:49

>I want to synchronize my system clock to an atomic clock on a server in America.
>I have done this before with the Webmin graphical configuration tool.
>Now I want to do that with a shell script, so I can deinstall Webmin.

Thank you for the response, I tried chrony but it doesn't work yet.
Anyway, if Webmin can set the time without chrony etc., I suppose it can be done in a shell script too, using standard utilities.
Am I right ? After all, Webmin just seems like a bunch of perl/cgi scripts.

--

Post by Bill Unr » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:06:54

]>I want to synchronize my system clock to an atomic clock on a server in America.
]>I have done this before with the Webmin graphical configuration tool.
]>Now I want to do that with a shell script, so I can deinstall Webmin.

]Thank you for the response, I tried chrony but it doesn't work yet.
]Anyway, if Webmin can set the time without chrony etc., I suppose it can be done in a shell script too, using standard utilities.
]Am I right ? After all, Webmin just seems like a bunch of perl/cgi scripts.

It depends on the accuracy you want. If you are happy with your computer
being a few seconds out, then webmin or rdate or other such tools ae
fine. If you want it accurate to say 1/20 of a sec, then use chrony.
What do you mean you have not gotten it to work yet?

Post by Glenn Thigpe » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:23:12

> >I want to synchronize my system clock to an atomic clock on a server in America.
> >I have done this before with the Webmin graphical configuration tool.
> >Now I want to do that with a shell script, so I can deinstall Webmin.

> Thank you for the response, I tried chrony but it doesn't work yet.
> Anyway, if Webmin can set the time without chrony etc., I suppose it can be done in a shell script too, using standard utilities.
> Am I right ? After all, Webmin just seems like a bunch of perl/cgi scripts.

> --

>     Climate Control - experimental music: http://go.to/cchq/
>     My Linux-related site: http://go.to/conmen/

There is also a program called nist which you can use to set your time from an nist server over the internet. It can be found on the
Tucows Linux site as well as other places. It should be accurate to within a few milliseconds in the Americas.

Glenn

1. Setting my hardware clock to atomic clock?

by the way, in man hwclock it says

       To see if it is on or off, use the command adjtimex --print and
       look at the value of "status".  If the "64" bit of this number
       (expressed in binary) equal to 0, 11 minute mode is on.
       Otherwise, it is off.

and I do
$ /sbin/adjtimex -p
[...]     status: 64
which makes me wonder what the English of the man page is trying to
say.  Does "status:64" mean the 11 minute thing is on or off?

by the way, the The Clock Mini-HOWTO looked promising, but
seemed not to tell us dummies exactly what to do simplewise.

I installed the ntp rpm from the 2nd mandrake 7.2 CD
and notices that it doesn't put its man pages on the system, but one can dig
them
out of its 'doc' directory... as seen in rpm -ql ntp
--
www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ?n|
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

2. Installation using FTP

3. Want to have an atomic clock sync your Linux box clock ?

4. multi boot?

5. Synchronize AIX time with Atomic clock

6. Accel JAX 8241 with S3 805

7. system clock/bios clock setting

8. Startup Script

9. how to sync system clock to CMOS clock

10. System clock vs some other clock???

11. hwclock (system clock to hardware clock)???

12. Red Hat 6.0 System Clock vs. Hardware Clock

13. system clock & cmos clock