Diald problem

Post by Zdenek Niederl » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Why is it that if I start diald from /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 it makes a PPP via
modem connection when I send a message (with a local address) to sendmail.
However, if I kill diald and restart it at the command line, things work
fine?  Any ideas?

Thanks  ZN

Diald problem

Post by Greg Boe » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Why is it that if I start diald from /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 it makes a PPP
via
>modem connection when I send a message (with a local address) to
sendmail.
>However, if I kill diald and restart it at the command line, things
work
>fine?  Any ideas?

>Thanks  ZN

Granted you are sending to a local address, however, where does the

then sendmail will try to resolve your.isp.com even though it is a local
To: address.

greg

Diald problem

Post by Graeme Geldenhuy » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

I have a simular problem.  I setup diald to handle our local networks
internet access.  But now if I try and telnet to that linux server using its
local IP address, it still tries to dial out.  Any traffic to the linux
server causes it to starta dial-up connect.  I have played around with the
routing tables, but still nothing can stop it from happening.  If I kill
diald, then I can login to the linux server and send mail (queued until it
is online).

Any ideas?
Regards,
  - Graeme -

Diald problem

Post by K.A. Steensm » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Even the Q & A of this message (I think) miss the point.  You should look into
the how's and why's of the diald FAQ.  The DNS server (on each machine) has a
lot to do with things.  Even requesting a telnet session from a machine with
an incorrect HOSTS file or DNS lookup directions can cause diald to ring up
your ISP.  Its all in the FAQ.

Keith

> Why is it that if I start diald from /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 it makes a PPP via
> modem connection when I send a message (with a local address) to sendmail.
> However, if I kill diald and restart it at the command line, things work
> fine?  Any ideas?

> Thanks  ZN

Diald problem

Post by Tobias Reckhard (jest » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:20:27 -0700, "Zdenek Niederle"

>Why is it that if I start diald from /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 it makes a PPP via
>modem connection when I send a message (with a local address) to sendmail.
>However, if I kill diald and restart it at the command line, things work
>fine?  Any ideas?

Could be sendmail performing a DNS lookup. Check what sort of
connection is being made with tcpdump or ipfwadm. If it is sendmail
and DNS, you can either turn off DNS lookups for sendmail (change the
switch file) or install a local DNS server.

Tobias

1. diald problem - pppd won't start from diald

Hi.

I can't seem to get this diald thing quite right:

I have a ppp-on script that allows me to dial in. works perfectly.
------
#!/bin/sh
# ppp-on
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 115200 lock crtscts modem defaultroute
connect "/usr/local/bin/chat-on" user hjanssen
------
which uses:
------
#!/bin/sh
# chat-on
INIT=ATZS11=255
PHONE=0,2539650
/usr/sbin/chat '' $INIT OK ATDT$PHONE CONNECT ''
------
And for the sake of completeness, ppp-off:
------
#!/bin/sh
# ppp-off
DEVICE=ppp0
if [ -r /var/run/$DEVICE.pid ]; then
  kill -INT `cat /var/run/$DEVICE.pid`
  if [ ! "$?"="0" ]; then
    echo "removing stale $DEVICE pid file."
    rm -f /var/run/$DEVICE.pid ; exit 1
  fi
  echo "$DEVICE link terminated" ; exit 0
fi
echo "$DEVICE link not active";exit 1
------

But of course, I want the darn thing to auto-dial on demand....
So I installed diald. diald.conf:
------
mode ppp
buffer-packets
buffer_size 1048576
device /dev/modem
speed 115200
lock
crtscts
modem
defaultroute
connect "/usr/local/bin/chat-on"
pppd-options user hjanssen
local 131.211.194.141
remote 131.211.194.140
dynamic
reroute
include /etc/standard.filter
------

When I have a packet that wants it to dial out, It starts dialing. the
connect script is done, there is a modem-connect negotiation, it
starts pppd, and pppd spectacularly fails to do anything at all. after
one or two minutes, diald times out and kills pppd. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks,

Jasper

2. Linux humor at it's greatest

3. DialD Problem

4. XFree86 3.3.2 - can someone do a ldd for me?

5. Diald problem

6. Getting info about the client, without delving into low level RPC

7. Diald problems from other local host

8. RAM disk and performance

9. pppd, chat, or diald problem?

10. diald problems