routing with 2 network cards in 1 computer

routing with 2 network cards in 1 computer

Post by John v/d Ka » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi !

Next weekend I'll be going to a party that will only support utp cable
.. now that's not a problem, but for my friends it is, because they
only have  coax ... so I thought I'd be routing the data to them, and
since you can't have 2 different cables op 1 network card, I thought
of placing 2 network cards in my computer ... I don't want to buy a
router just for 1 time so I'm searching for alternatives.
How would I make this in linux ? I allready have 1 amd 2100 ne card
working, and he detects the 2nd one too, but I can't ping or whatever
with it ...
Any other methods of connecting me and my friends to this network are
wellcome too !

greets,
  John

John v/d Kamp

  homepage: http://www.dra.nl/~blade

ln -sf /dev/brain /dev/null

routing with 2 network cards in 1 computer

Post by Radovan Bra » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Next weekend I'll be going to a party that will only support utp cable
>.. now that's not a problem, but for my friends it is, because they
>only have  coax ... so I thought I'd be routing the data to them, and
>since you can't have 2 different cables op 1 network card, I thought
>of placing 2 network cards in my computer ... I don't want to buy a
>router

   That would be a repeater (hub).

Quote:>just for 1 time so I'm searching for alternatives.
>How would I make this in linux ? I allready have 1 amd 2100 ne card
>working, and he detects the 2nd one too, but I can't ping or whatever
>with it ...

   You have to set up "ifconfig" and "route"on the second interface
   too. A minor question is how to choose the subnet netmask on that
   interface; since it will be a private network, you'll be able to
   get a "legitimate" IP, so you will not need IP masquerading. I think
   the best idea is to assign a two-bit subnet to that interface, if
   there are only one or two other computers. If there are more of them,
   ask for consecutive IP-s which can be grouped in a subnet.  You will
   probably want to do the "proxy arp" (with "arp -s ... pub" command)
   on your Ethernet interface for their IP-s, so that your computer
   responds to ARP queries for those IP-s on the "main" net. Note that you
   must have IP Forwarding enabled, on 2.0.X it is done as an option
   at kernel compile time, and at run time on 2.1.X, by writing into
   appropriate /proc/net/... entry.

Quote:>Any other methods of connecting me and my friends to this network are
>wellcome too !

   1) If his Ethernet card has an AUI connector too, he can buy/borrow/...
   a "micro-transceiver" for UTP. That way one can connect directly to
   the Ethernet.  Still cheaper than a repeater for one PC, but not
   good for several, unless you can indded borrow them somewhere.

   2) Connect via serial ports, using a "null-modem" cable. You have
   to configure SLIP for that. Routing/ARP issues are similar as
   explained above. This is for just one other computer, of course.

   3) Connect the two computers via parallel ports, read the PLIP
   documentation. (There is a HOWTO or mini-HOWTO, i think.) Faster
   than serial port; again for just another PC.

   As you can see, there are several options, go on ...

      RB