How do I start xterm on remote host(I'm using slirp)

How do I start xterm on remote host(I'm using slirp)

Post by LIN XU TAO VINCE » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

        Can someone tell me how to configure the system in my school and
my computer so when I type 'xterm' on my school's system, the window will
appear on my computer.  I'm currently using slirp with the ppp option.  I
have the following line in my .slirprc file:

        redir X 10.0.2.15:0.0

        I try to type "setenv DISPLAY 10.0.2.15:0" on my school's
computer first before I try to start xterm.

        Can someone please tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it?  Thanks.

--
Lin, Xu(Vincent)      University of Toronto(Computer Engineering)

Please visit the Nanjing Massacre Memorial Webpage at:
        http://www.arts.cuhk.hk/NanjingMassacre/NM.html

How do I start xterm on remote host(I'm using slirp)

Post by Henry Cros » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>         Can someone tell me how to configure the system in my school and
> my computer so when I type 'xterm' on my school's system, the window will
> appear on my computer.  I'm currently using slirp with the ppp option.  I
> have the following line in my .slirprc file:

>         redir X 10.0.2.15:0.0

>         I try to type "setenv DISPLAY 10.0.2.15:0" on my school's
> computer first before I try to start xterm.

>         Can someone please tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it?  Thanks.

 I'm not familiar with slirp or your method however using X it's as simple as

xterm -display remote_host:0.0 &

--
H.Cross

Work:     | OS/2 - Awesome multi-tasking capabilities.
Play:     | DOS and it's graphical menu system. (Windows)
Learn:    | U of NIX (LINUX rocks!)

How do I start xterm on remote host(I'm using slirp)

Post by Rick Stua » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: >
: >         Can someone tell me how to configure the system in my school and
: > my computer so when I type 'xterm' on my school's system, the window will
: > appear on my computer.  I'm currently using slirp with the ppp option.  I
: > have the following line in my .slirprc file:
: >
: >         redir X 10.0.2.15:0.0
: >
: >         I try to type "setenv DISPLAY 10.0.2.15:0" on my school's
: > computer first before I try to start xterm.
: >
: >         Can someone please tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it?  Thanks.

:  I'm not familiar with slirp or your method however using X it's as simple as

: xterm -display remote_host:0.0 &

You may also need to verify X-security on your Xserver (your PC) did you issue
an "xhost (slirp_server_ip)" prior to issuing the xterm command?  If you get
a message like "server refusing access"?  That could be your problem.