Linux/Win2K Server As A Router vs. Linksys Router (BEFSR41)

Linux/Win2K Server As A Router vs. Linksys Router (BEFSR41)

Post by Young4er » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:10:38

Hi,

I have a cable modem connection with a single semi dynamic
public IP address.  Currently, I have installed a Linksys router
(BEFSR41) between the cable modem and my intranet LAN to share
my Linux machine as well as several windows machines.  I am
thinking to replace this Linksys Router with a home made Win2K
server or Linux running on either a winchip 200MHz or an AMD
K6-2 400MHz CPU (prefer to use a winchip 200MHz CPU from IOpener
and put the 400MHz CPU to the IOpener).  Frankly speaking, I am
opted to use Linux over Win2K as a router.  However, being
limited to only a single public IP address, I am force to
thinking of using Win2K instead of Linux as my router mainly
because I can attach several USB devices, i.e. VoIPBlaster,
ActionTec VoIP devices, etc.  to the router to use them.  As
with Linux, the VoIPBlaster driver found on the SourceForge
site, (http://sourceforge.net/projects/voip-blaster), is still
to early to use.

I am very confused to face this dilemma and am hoping you all
will be able to help me out.  TIA.

Linux/Win2K Server As A Router vs. Linksys Router (BEFSR41)

Post by Rich » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:42:28

the hardware router u mention is junk in my opinion.I have one had constant
problems with it.
as far as using linux or win2k to route linux will always win that hands
down at least in my opinion.
if you must use these usb devices and linux doesnt support them you could
always do both.
put linux on the 200mhz and win2k on the 400mhz.
use linux as the router and the win2k machine for everything else.
I have a similar configuration.

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a cable modem connection with a single semi dynamic
> public IP address.  Currently, I have installed a Linksys router
> (BEFSR41) between the cable modem and my intranet LAN to share
> my Linux machine as well as several windows machines.  I am
> thinking to replace this Linksys Router with a home made Win2K
> server or Linux running on either a winchip 200MHz or an AMD
> K6-2 400MHz CPU (prefer to use a winchip 200MHz CPU from IOpener
> and put the 400MHz CPU to the IOpener).  Frankly speaking, I am
> opted to use Linux over Win2K as a router.  However, being
> limited to only a single public IP address, I am force to
> thinking of using Win2K instead of Linux as my router mainly
> because I can attach several USB devices, i.e. VoIPBlaster,
> ActionTec VoIP devices, etc.  to the router to use them.  As
> with Linux, the VoIPBlaster driver found on the SourceForge
> site, (http://sourceforge.net/projects/voip-blaster), is still
> to early to use.

> I am very confused to face this dilemma and am hoping you all
> will be able to help me out.  TIA.

1. linux router Vs Linksys Router

Any body had experience of both a standalone router (eg d-link/linksys 4port
switch and router integrated into 1 box) Vs old 486 with a flavour of linux
acting as a router with a hub/switch to share a DSL connection?

You can get the former for about 50GBP and it seams a lot less of a pain to
set up and use.

Comments?

Cheers
Stu

2. Samba PDC with no roaming profile

3. Linksys Realplayer 8 / Linksys BEFSR41 Router settings?

4. Simple, tiny, linux setup help

5. Linux/cIPe->Linksys DSL Router->Win2k Server VPN

6. Sony CDU 800 SCSI CD-ROM Problem

7. Linux with a Linksys Befsr41 router

8. Virtual memory.... (Prob?)

9. Linksys BEFSR41 Router and Linux

10. Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router SLOW..why?

11. LinkSys BEFSR41 DSL Router & Red Hat 7.2 connection woes

12. traceroute (linux) vs. tracert (XP) vs. Linksys router

13. How To determine Subnet through a Linksys BEFSR41 Router