What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?

What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?

Post by Flat Bo » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 05:25:43

At the moment I have a small LAN connected to a Linux server. The linux
server provides internet access for the LAN by means of a cable modem. I
therefore have a dynamically assigned IP address. I want to be able to
access certains services such as SSH from outside and in order to manage
this it would be easier to use dynamic dns rather then having to phone up
to find out what the current IP address of the server is.

At the moment howerver I run a DNS server for the LAN on the linux box.
It's primary function is to provide a chaching DNS service to the LAN but
it also has a zone for the LAN in which it is the master DNS. Since this
zone is not externally accessable, it is just a domain name I made up. What
changes will I need to make to this setup if I get a proper internet
accessable domain name for the server using dynamic DNS

What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:11:11

Hi!,

Quote:> At the moment I have a small LAN connected to a Linux server. The linux
> server provides internet access for the LAN by means of a cable modem. I
> therefore have a dynamically assigned IP address. I want to be able to
> access certains services such as SSH from outside and in order to manage
> this it would be easier to use dynamic dns rather then having to phone up
> to find out what the current IP address of the server is.

> At the moment howerver I run a DNS server for the LAN on the linux box.
> It's primary function is to provide a chaching DNS service to the LAN but
> it also has a zone for the LAN in which it is the master DNS. Since this
> zone is not externally accessable, it is just a domain name I made up. What
> changes will I need to make to this setup if I get a proper internet
> accessable domain name for the server using dynamic DNS

Overall, you probably don't need to change too much for your local zone file
providing that you aren't going to refer to it.  Basically, you will need to
register with a Dynamic Domain Name Server service and get a client which you
can use on your Linux box to send the updated IP number to the DDNS host.
From there, it should just be a matter of using the "proper" hostname and
domain name that you have for your connection (or you may need to register a
hostname, domainname with a Internet Registry) and you should be accessible to
the outside.

If you wanted to, you could still continue to use the local zone file for your
hostname and point it back to yourself, although that is up to you ?, the real
key here, is that the local zone information that you have doesn't get
exported out to the internet community.

See ya

Dean Thompson

What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?

Post by Flat Bo » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:57:06

Quote:

> If you wanted to, you could still continue to use the local zone file for
> your hostname and point it back to yourself, although that is up to you ?,
> the real key here, is that the local zone information that you have
> doesn't get exported out to the internet community.

So what your saying is if I got the name

bobsmicro.realname.org

from my dynamic dns provider I could stick with my internal DNS set up to
use:

bobsmicro.fobar.foodomain

or I could could change it to the same thing as my external domain name for
consistancy?

Is that right?
Cheers

What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:06:45

Hi!,

Quote:>> If you wanted to, you could still continue to use the local zone file for
>> your hostname and point it back to yourself, although that is up to you ?,
>> the real key here, is that the local zone information that you have
>> doesn't get exported out to the internet community.

> So what your saying is if I got the name

> bobsmicro.realname.org

> from my dynamic dns provider I could stick with my internal DNS set up to
> use:

> bobsmicro.fobar.foodomain

> or I could could change it to the same thing as my external domain name for
> consistancy?

Yes, you could still use the bobsmicro.fobar.foodomain for your internal use
if you wanted to, for consistency reasons I would change it but you don't have
to change it, as long as you recognise that bobsmicro.fobar.foodomain will not
be known to anyone outside of your own little internal network.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:24:07

>> If you wanted to, you could still continue to use the local zone file for
>> your hostname and point it back to yourself, although that is up to you ?,
>> the real key here, is that the local zone information that you have
>> doesn't get exported out to the internet community.

> So what your saying is if I got the name

> bobsmicro.realname.org

> from my dynamic dns provider I could stick with my internal DNS set up to
> use:

> bobsmicro.fobar.foodomain

> or I could could change it to the same thing as my external domain name for
> consistancy?

Your internal DNS zones could still point to it under a name consistant
with your LAN.  However, it would be easier for mail and other
configuration if the fully qualified hostname of the box was your internet
hostname.  And so your box can find itself before connected to the
internet, you might want to assign it to a loopback IP (like 127.0.0.2)
like I do for my static ppp ip hostname.

So if internal boxes connect to you as bobsmicro they would get your LAN
IP and anything from the internet would use your internet IP.  But in my
case my hostname is efflandt.xnet.com and my nic is mainpc.localdomain, so
I just address it from my LAN as mainpc.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?

Post by Flat Bo » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 06:10:42

Ok I've read all the replies through but I'm still not entierly sure I've
got it so correct me if I'm wrong

Im my machine is called: widget
My domain is now: mydomain

Lets say I use dyndns.
I choose the top and second level domains to be: dnsalias.net
I give it the hostname widget.mydomain
Which gives me and internet name of: widget.mydomain.dnsalias.net
I give the dyndns server an MX entry of widget.mydomain.dnsalias.net

Internally I put the following entry in my DNS server

widget.mydomain    A    192.168.1.1
                            CNAME widget.mydomain.dnsalias.net

In reslov.conf I put the line
domain mydomain

And in hosts I put the line
192.168.1.1   widget

 You see the one thing that still
confuses me is the MX entry. I'm not sure it's right at the moment

On my internal dns server would I have the MX server as
widget.mydomin

.
in the forward look up config file I put in an entry
                MX widget.mydomain
the rest

Is that right?

Lets say I want to run my only mail server (POP3 or IMAP) something like
that. Would it then work consistantly both inside and out?

internally and externally it would get to the root acount on my machine

would just use the CNAME entry and in effect redirect the mail to

Have I got it??

Post by Flat Bo » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:09:12

[...]

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:56:00

Hi!,

Quote:> Ok I've read all the replies through but I'm still not entierly sure I've
> got it so correct me if I'm wrong

> Im my machine is called: widget
> My domain is now: mydomain

> Lets say I use dyndns.
> I choose the top and second level domains to be: dnsalias.net
> I give it the hostname widget.mydomain

Your hostname in this scenario would be "widget" and not "widget.mydomain".

Quote:> Which gives me and internet name of: widget.mydomain.dnsalias.net

Your internet name should be something like: "widget.dnsalias.net".

Quote:> I give the dyndns server an MX entry of widget.mydomain.dnsalias.net

Your MX entry should be something like: "dnsalias.net" points to the machine:
"widget.dnsalias.net".

Quote:

> Internally I put the following entry in my DNS server

> widget.mydomain    A    192.168.1.1
>                             CNAME widget.mydomain.dnsalias.net

Get rid of the "mydomain" business.

Quote:

> In resolv.conf I put the line
> domain mydomain

You will also put a pointer in there for a nameserver as well.

Quote:

> And in hosts I put the line
> 192.168.1.1   widget

>  You see the one thing that still
> confuses me is the MX entry. I'm not sure it's right at the moment

See above.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. ddclient to update dynamic DNS entries at a dynamic DNS service

I have a linux machine setup in our high school computer lab.  I've set up
an account with a dynamic DNS service and have given the computer a hostname
supported by the service.  I downloaded and installed a linux client called
ddclient to update the dynamic DNS IP address entries so that the hostname
always points to the linux box.  IP addresses are dynamically assigned by a
dhcp server in our school district.  The question I have is does ddclient
start automatically when I start the linux computer?  Here are the
installation instructions that I followed.  Ddclient was downloaded as a tar
file, which I extracted.  I copied the ddclient file to /usr/sbin/  and I
copied the configuration file, ddclient.conf, to /etc/ddclient.conf and
customized it to my dynamic dns service provider.  Are those steps
sufficient to enable ddclient to run automatically when I start linux?   If
not, what else do I need to do?  There is reference in the readme file about
running ddclient as a daemon, but no specific instructions about that for
the installation instructions I followed, unless copying the files to their
locations described above accomplishes that.

2. Postscript filter for freeBSD?? need one!

3. DHCP, DNS/Dynamic DNS???

4. mgetty+sendfax, print incoming faxes to HP LaserJet (RedHat 7.0)

5. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

6. Help needed to config 2x ISAPNP NE compatible NIC cards

7. Help! Solaris driver is loaded but not attached.

8. DHCP, DNS, WINS, dynamic DNS, other questions

9. Dynamic DNS assignment and local network

10. Dynamic DNS and lan?

11. Dynamic DNS on a local subnet/subdomain - HOW?

12. Local Lan DNS Problems