NIS problem, can someon help

Post by Curr » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:19:47

Whenever I do the ypcat command, it is returning blank, even though for
some reason ypwhich is returning the correct domain.  Can someone tell me
why this one computer is doing this?  The rest of the ones on the network
all seem to be working.

--

NIS problem, can someon help

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:07:23

Hi!,

Quote:> Whenever I do the ypcat command, it is returning blank, even though for
> some reason ypwhich is returning the correct domain.  Can someone tell me
> why this one computer is doing this?  The rest of the ones on the network
> all seem to be working.

If commands like: "ypcat passwd" are returning without errors being generated
then it would seem to suggest that ypbind has successfully managed to bind to
the YP domain.  You will need to make sure that you have actually make the yp
maps on the server.  Perhaps you have the server running but you haven't
actually put the data into the yp maps.  On the NIS server go to a directory
like: /var/lib/yp and issue the "make" to make the NIS maps.

See ya

Dean Thompson

NIS problem, can someon help

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 04:39:49

> Whenever I do the ypcat command, it is returning blank, even though for
> some reason ypwhich is returning the correct domain.  Can someone tell me
> why this one computer is doing this?  The rest of the ones on the network

Because the map you are looking at is empty. It must be the cached
copy.

Quote:> all seem to be working.

Then that one has a duff ypbind, or else is looking in the wrong place
at the wrong server.

Peter

1. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

Hello,

I'v found some very old message about this problem in this group, but
there was no solution.

I' ve set up a NIS server on a Linux machine ( ubuntu 5.01)
following this howto
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/index.html
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/serveur/nis

everything seems to be ok
my sun machine is binded to ypserv on linux

inv09748 ( my linux nis server)

cao8:$1$JL6XpfxxxxxqctkdfFSycuu/:5008:5000::/home/cao8:/usr/bin/ksh

but when i try to log with cao8 => " incorrect login"

i can only log with root

loggued with root in can do :
su - cao8
and it works fine

so ... if someone can help, i will be very gracefull

(sorry for my english, i'm french)

2. Printer problems SCO 4.2.0 NEC Silentwriter 2

3. Could someon like to tell whcih montherboard is good for k6-2 and linux?

4. Problems with VINUM

5. Linux Security

6. It's not bad canned meat...

7. Linux SNMP software package?

8. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

9. CGI: apache canned response

10. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

11. Canned "ping"