Re-exporting Samba

Post by Andrew Picki » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Q: Is it possible to to re-export an samba mount?

Linux box (odin) mounts C: drive on NT box (thor)
on /thor/C, can odin now export via NFS this drive
to a Solaris box (freya) such that freya can see
the contents of thor's C: drive?

AMP

Re-exporting Samba

Post by Andreas Meil » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Q: Is it possible to to re-export an samba mount?

> Linux box (odin) mounts C: drive on NT box (thor)
> on /thor/C, can odin now export via NFS this drive
> to a Solaris box (freya) such that freya can see
> the contents of thor's C: drive?

> AMP

Yes. All what you have to do is to compile a kernel which supports "smbfs"
file system and install the Samba package itself. Add the NT's server name &
IP address to your /etc/lmhosts file if necessary (when it isn't in the same
subnet). Then use

smbmount //THOR/YOURF /thor/C -U nt_username -D nt_domain -P nt_password

(you can omit -P if you want type it interactively) to mount this drive
under Linux.

Now add a line

/thor/C freya(rw,no_root_squash)

to Odin's /etc/exports. Because foreign file systems such as msdos, vfat,
smbfs always maps the file owner to "root" with "chmod 755/644" permissions,
your need the "no_root_squash" option to give write permissions to the
Solaris host. After a "cd /sbin/init.d", "./nfsserver stop", "./nfsserver
start" on the Linux box, a "mount -t nfs odin:/thor/C /mnt" executed in
Solaris should work... :-)

                      Andreas

Re-exporting Samba

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Because foreign file systems such as msdos, vfat,
> smbfs always maps the file owner to "root" with "chmod 755/644" permissions,
> your need the "no_root_squash" option to give write permissions to the
> Solaris host.

Actually, you can specify the ownership, group, and permissions that Linux
assigns to files on most non-UNIX filesystems. For instance, with FAT
filesystem types, you can use the uid=, gid=, and umask= mount options to
set things up as you like. For SMB filesystems (via smbmount), the options
have been changing a lot of late; they're different in Samba 2.0.3 vs.
2.0.5a, for instance, and I believe they're different yet in 2.0.6.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

1. re-exporting samba shares

I have a box (magnum) running Debian Sid (unstable/testing) with the
hardrive mounted read-only. Although I have been unable to mount other
computers with samba, I can mount them with nfs. I have another linux
box (otis) that has samba mounted a win2k box (krash) with mp3s. I can
nfs mount otis from magnum. However ... (quick diagram)

(computer:share) <--mounted by-- (computer:at directory)
krash:/mp3 <--samba-- otis:/home/jkoenig/noise
otis:/home/jkoenig <--nfs-- magnum:/home/koenig/noise

I cant view the mp3s from magnum. Theoreticaly, they should be at
magnum:/home/koenig/noise/noise (because I mounted /home/jkoenig, not
/home/jkoenig/noise)

That directory shows as empty.

I can remount /home/jkoenig with smbmount and view the mp3s, but not
nfs. Remember, I cant use samba on magnum.

Any suggestions? Any way of serving up nfs shares with win2k?
Re-exporting shares?
Thanks
--
-johann koenig

2. Control Ctrl-Z by C

3. Re-exporting samba share ==> nfs mount. Permission denied ( WinNT -> samba -> Linux -> NFS -> Solaris)

4. please take the Quick poll

5. Apache::StatINC and re-exporting exported subroutines

6. HP8000 network printer stops printing

7. cachefs, or re-exporting remote filesystems

8. Gateway G6-233 comes with Promise UltraATA not compatible

9. NFS: re-exporting partition - double NFS (Fedora 2)

10. properly re-exporting

11. re-exporting smb mounted filesystems from Redhat linux 8.0 to Solaris 8.0

12. Re-exporting ncpmounts via NFS

13. Re-exporting an NFS mount