Ethernet address....

Post by Sudip Sarbajn » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,
I am having 2 related queries to which you gurus may answer quickly.
1. How do I know the ethernet address of the adapters in my own machine
from
    within a program( say from a C/C++ program - there must be a system
call for
    this purpose.) Also pls. let me know what is the handy command I can
give from
    shell prompt to know the same.
2. Given a ethernet address(which as per my knowledge is unique over the
world)
    how do I know whether the interface( whatever machine it is attached
to) is up or
    not. Is their any system call for doing that? It wil be very helpful
for me if you also
    let me know whether there is any command line utility to do that. At
least I should
    be able to do that in my subnet.

Thank you in advance -

Sudip

appreciated.

Ethernet address....

Post by tmant.. » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

 >    I am having 2 related queries to which you gurus may answer quickly.
1. How do I know the ethernet
 >    address of the adapters in my own machine from

Quote:>     within a program( say from a C/C++ program - there must be a system
call for
>     this purpose.) Also pls. let me know what is the handy command I can

give from
     shell prompt to know the same. 2. Given a ethernet address(which as per
my knowledge is unique

use ifconfig

Quote:>over     the world)

Not necessarily. But it is *very* unlikely to have the same MAC-adresses in
the same subnet

Quote:>     how do I know whether the interface( whatever machine it is attached
to) is up or
>     not. Is their any system call for doing that? It wil be very helpful
for me if you also
>     let me know whether there is any command line utility to do that. At

least I should

use ifconfig
Theres is a line stating: UP BROADCAST RUNNING

>     be able to do that in my subnet.
>     Thank you in advance -
You're welcome
>     Sudip