samba and NT: no upper-case filenames

Post by Kai Glsne » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello community,

today I tried to setup a cvs-repository on a disk exported by samba
1.9.17p2 on a linuxbox with several NT-development-machines attached to
it. When I made an import from an NT-machine to the linux-box, all files
lost their upper-cases (e.g. CAMSocketInterface.cpp ->
camsocketinterface.cpp).

Two possible solutions:
1) Make the customer use linux instead of NT (my favourite solution)!
2) Ask someone who knows!

Anybody out there with a possible solution?

Thanks in advance

Kai Glaesner

samba and NT: no upper-case filenames

Post by Beau Arthu » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am brand new to this, but I think what you need is covered in the smb.conf
file parameters mangle case, case sensitive, default case, preserve case and
short preserve case.  They control whether file names are left alone,
converted to upper or lower case, etc.

Mark

>today I tried to setup a cvs-repository on a disk exported by samba
>1.9.17p2 on a linuxbox with several NT-development-machines attached to
>it. When I made an import from an NT-machine to the linux-box, all files
>lost their upper-cases (e.g. CAMSocketInterface.cpp ->
>camsocketinterface.cpp).
>Kai Glaesner

1. CONVERTING lower-case to upper-case filenames?

        I'm transfering >50 megs of files from my flakey DOS machine to my
Linux machine over a serial line using zmodem. The flakey DOS machine crashes
every so often, so I need to use the crash-recovery features of zmodem.

        Unfortunately, DSZ on the DOS machine only sends upper-case
filenames, while RZ on the Linux machine writes lower-case filenames.
This means that when DSZ checks to see what files are already written, it
only looks for upper-case filenames, and because it doesn't see anything
it re-writes the files that were uploaded previously.

        I imagine that there's a way to rename all of the files on the Linux
machine (about 1000 of them) using a script. Anyone know how to do this?
"sed" seems like the proper tool, but I can't find any good
documentation on it.

        Much thanks to anyone who can help.

| Mark A. Pitcher |
                                                            "GUH!" - Bill Leeb

2. MASQUERADE_AS in Sendmail HELP!!!!

3. Change Upper case filename to lower case filename

4. SCP

5. Upper-Case Filenames on CD-Rom

6. Microsoft 3-button mouse under XFree - any luck?

7. Script to Convert Upper Case Filenames to Lower Case

8. Diamond Stealth 64 Video 3200 PCI problem on Lynux...

9. VI - Lower-case to Upper-case

10. SUMMARY: change filename from upper to lower case?

11. change filename from upper to lower case?

12. Need script to change filenames to upper case

13. Script to convert upper case filenames to lowercase