Nameserver woes

Post by NO-jkstark-S.. » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:30:07

Quick question for you all (vi lost my original message...)

I just started this dual boot machine back into Linux, and went
to connect to the net with kppp.  I've never had problems,
either with kpp or browsing the net - until now...  All of a
sudden, the machine had trouble resolving host names.  Now, this
is something that has always worked fine till now...  I thought
it might be the connection, so I reconnected, but still no luck.
ssh to a different machine that is connected on the local net
to this one, and using ipmasq to the net.  It had no problem
resolving names, but it does have caching-nameserver installed.
(As does this one...)  Well, I did check the nameserver addresses
that were listed, and they are essentially the same across the
two machines..

I then used dig with a implicit NS address to get a response,
verified the addresses on this machine and got even more
frustrated.  Nothing seemed to be amiss. SO, removed caching-
nameserver and bind, and reinstalled, hoping it was a brief
glitch with something.  Checked /etc/nsswitch and /etc/resolv.conf
once again - no problems.  Checked for a name with dig - this time
did not have to give a nameserver address - came back OK.  Tried
to ping - host not found.  Netscape will initially come back with
a host not found, but on the second load will find the site.

AM I hallucinating, or could it be my connection or dns or
something I am just missing...  It seems really odd, since the
last time I used linux on this machine was a couple of days ago,
and everything was fine...  (Wife uses the machine for windows
usually....)

Thanks!

Kris

Nameserver woes

Post by Johnny A. Solb » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:56:58

I had a problem a few days ago on my Windoze regarding resolving names.
After some checking, it turned out my ISP had changed their DNS servers
& thus changing the IP to their nameservers.

You could check with your ISP & verify that the nameservers you have listed are still valid & running.

Not sure it'll help you thou, but it's a start :-)

--
Solbu
http://move.to/johnny.solbu

Nameserver woes

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:10:09

Hi!,

Quote:> I had a problem a few days ago on my Windoze regarding resolving names.
> After some checking, it turned out my ISP had changed their DNS servers
> & thus changing the IP to their nameservers.

> You could check with your ISP & verify that the nameservers you have listed
> are still valid & running.

I always find it a good idea (if your ISP provides the ability) to include at
least one DNS server which is outside of your ISP's network just in case
something falls over within their network which looks after the DNS's.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Nameserver woes

Post by NO-jkstark-S.. » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:31:06

> Hi!,
>> I had a problem a few days ago on my Windoze regarding resolving names.
>> After some checking, it turned out my ISP had changed their DNS servers
>> & thus changing the IP to their nameservers.

>> You could check with your ISP & verify that the nameservers you have listed
>> are still valid & running.
> I always find it a good idea (if your ISP provides the ability) to include at
> least one DNS server which is outside of your ISP's network just in case
> something falls over within their network which looks after the DNS's.

Done now..  :-)  I've got 2 different ISP's (historical reasons) that I use,
so I went through to dig for their ns.  Of course, part of my problem here
is that I am stuck with MSN as a primary ISP for now...  You can imagine
how helpful they are with Linux issues...

Kris

1. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

I hate to ask the often answered, but I have a TDK VeloCD CD-RW in my PII
233 machine installed as a master on the secondary IDE. I'm running
Mandrake-linux 7.0, and of course I get the bad link problem. I have run the
fix suggested on Mandrake's Web-page, but I can't figure a way to make the
fix either permenant or automatic. The fix (in case you haven't seen it is
to run "cdrecord -scanbus" to check for the presence of a working CD-RW,
then to type "cd /dev && rm cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom" in a terminal) This
fix works but there's got to be a better way...any thoughts.

2. DNS help!

3. Nameserver/Domain Name Woes (Please Help :( )

4. SLS - Get entire SLS on 3 1/2 disks for $85.5!!

5. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

6. Help... with a file called xtank1.3f.tar.gz

7. net-2 woes (was upgrade woes)

8. dd | remsh dd under AIX 1.2

9. gethostbyname from my nameserver ?

10. How do I adjust MMDF's nameserver timeout?

11. Caching nameserver causes delay in sending mail

12. Nameserver over PPP?

13. named and nameservers.