HTTP past a blocked port 80?!

Post by Wulf Solte » Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:57:52

Hiya.

A computer im doing some work on has an Internet connection (company
provided) that blocks port 80 (Definitely ISP blocking port 80) . The
need has come up to access hotmail (login page is HTTP), and i can't
figure out a way to bypass the block.

Anyone with some brilliant suggestions or clues?

Much thanks in advance,
wulf

HTTP past a blocked port 80?!

Post by Wulf Solte » Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:17:42

>> A computer im doing some work on has an Internet connection (company
>> provided) that blocks port 80 (Definitely ISP blocking port 80) . The
>> need has come up to access hotmail (login page is HTTP), and i can't
>> figure out a way to bypass the block.

> If it's work-related and that your need, report to the company's IT
> department and have your port 80 unblocked. Every attempt to circumvent
> company's policies would be illegal and, mostly, unsuccesful.

> Davide

Been in contact with IT dept. It is the ISP that only allows certain
ports through (HTTPS, SMTP/POP3, FTP, etc..) Not really to keen on
getting another net connection at $x just for webmail.

HTTP past a blocked port 80?!

Post by Wulf Solte » Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:33:11

>> Been in contact with IT dept. It is the ISP that only allows certain
>> ports through (HTTPS, SMTP/POP3, FTP, etc..) Not really to keen on
>> getting another net connection at $x just for webmail.

> First of all, never heard of an ISP that blocks plain http, second,
> if that's the contract that have been negotiated by your company, then
> they are basically precluding you to do your job and is THEIR problem
> to fix it, third, if it's the ISP that block such thing you've zero
> possibilities of bypassing it.

> Davide

eek.. a fresh new connection it is then....
Thanks very much mate!
wulf

HTTP past a blocked port 80?!

Post by sara lautma » Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:30:13

Quote:> Been in contact with IT dept. It is the ISP that only allows certain
> ports through (HTTPS, SMTP/POP3, FTP, etc..) Not really to keen on
> getting another net connection at $x just for webmail.

I've heard of people running sshd on a box at home, and if outbound port 22
(or whatever port they run sshd on) is open, they do an ssh connection with
X forwarding, and run the browser on the remote machine that displays on
their local machine behind the block. All encrypted data pass though port 22
outbound, and the port 80 connection is done from their home machine where
it's unrestricted.

HTTP past a blocked port 80?!

Post by Andrew Gideo » Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:30:27

> First of all, never heard of an ISP that blocks plain http

I have to second this.  If I understand correctly, this ISP is blocking
its clients from connecting to servers on port 80 on the Internet?
That's...very bizarre.

It's far more likely that your company's IT department is doing this
blocking. Perhaps someone complained to them about the number of hours
being wasted "surfing" the web.

Or there could be semantic games afoot.  Perhaps your company requested
that the ISP put the block in place for the aforementioned "wasted hours"
reason.  That would make it true that the ISP is blocking, but would also
explain why the ISP would take so odd an action.

Have you tried asking the ISP?

        - Andrew

HTTP past a blocked port 80?!

Post by FedU » Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:13:40

> Hiya.

> A computer im doing some work on has an Internet connection (company
> provided) that blocks port 80 (Definitely ISP blocking port 80) . The
> need has come up to access hotmail (login page is HTTP), and i can't
> figure out a way to bypass the block.

> Anyone with some brilliant suggestions or clues?

> Much thanks in advance,
> wulf

Replied to in one of your other cross posts.

HTTP past a blocked port 80?!

Post by Andrew Gideo » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 01:16:23

> All encrypted data pass though
> port 22 outbound, and the port 80 connection is done from their home
> machine where it's unrestricted.

Oh, yes.  I forgot about this.

There's an better variation of this.  Put a proxy server on the home
machine, perhaps available only to localhost.  On the SSH connection to
the home machine, forward some local port (80?  8080?  It doesn't much
matter) to the proxy server's port on the home machine.

Run a browser on the machine at work (thus avoiding X forwarding, which
is why I call this "better"), but with the proxy set to the port being
forwarded by SSH to the proxy server (ie. that "it doesn't much matter"
port).

The browser thinks that there's a proxy server on the local machine.  SSH
forwards proxy requests to the proxy server on the home machine.  The home
machine's proxy server does the usual proxy stuff.

BTW, none of this requires that port 22 be open.  Since it involves
running SSHd on one's home machine, then it could be placed on any port.

        - Andrew

HTTP past a blocked port 80?!

Post by Wulf Solte » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:02:32

>> First of all, never heard of an ISP that blocks plain http

> I have to second this.  If I understand correctly, this ISP is blocking
> its clients from connecting to servers on port 80 on the Internet?
> That's...very bizarre.

> It's far more likely that your company's IT department is doing this
> blocking. Perhaps someone complained to them about the number of hours
> being wasted "surfing" the web.
> Have you tried asking the ISP?

Yep, they maintain it isn't so much of a company request to stop wasting
time but more rather a reduction of costs as http isn't a neccesity on
this network - and hence a cheaper connection plan. Network is mostly
used for pop3/smtp and the occasional ftp

HTTP past a blocked port 80?!

Post by Wulf Solte » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:03:49

>> Been in contact with IT dept. It is the ISP that only allows certain
>> ports through (HTTPS, SMTP/POP3, FTP, etc..) Not really to keen on
>> getting another net connection at $x just for webmail.

> I've heard of people running sshd on a box at home, and if outbound port 22
> (or whatever port they run sshd on) is open, they do an ssh connection with
> X forwarding, and run the browser on the remote machine that displays on
> their local machine behind the block. All encrypted data pass though port 22
> outbound, and the port 80 connection is done from their home machine where
> it's unrestricted.

Nice.. thats a sleeker way of what im doing right now, VNCing to one of
my home boxes:D

Thanks

HTTP past a blocked port 80?!

Post by Moe Tr » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:24:26

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in

Quote:>Yep, they maintain it isn't so much of a company request to stop wasting
>time but more rather a reduction of costs as http isn't a neccesity on
>this network - and hence a cheaper connection plan. Network is mostly
>used for pop3/smtp and the occasional ftp

I agree that I've never heard of an ISP blocking http - for most windoze
users, that _IS_ the Internet.  Still, I can see this as a possible
service mode.   But I haven't seen you post a reason to why you
need access to your hotmail account for company business (based on your
earlier posts to the alt.comp.networking.connectivity, and
alt.comp.networking.firewalls newsgroups on Wednesday). Doesn't the
company provide you with a mail account?

        Old guy

1. (gateway port 80xx) redirecting to (local http server port 80)

Hi, I'm trying to accomplish the following:

I've an internal W2K workstation with IIS running behind a OpenBSD 3.1
firewall/gateway (with NAT, I only have one External IP address). Because of
the wonderful reputation of IIS I don't want people to connect to my
<Ext_IP> port 80, and then redirect them to <IIS_IP> port 80, but for
instance <Ext_IP> port 8082 and redirect that to <IIS_IP> port 80. So
effectively they have to type in their browser: http://<Ext_IP>:8082/ and
they get redirected. But when just typing http://<Ext_IP>/ they run into my
firewall.

Is this possible? Has anyone a working example of nat.conf and pf.conf on
this matter?

When I redirect from <Ext_IP> port 80 to <IIS_IP> port 80 it works fine, but
I don't want that.

Is it btw possible that my Alcatel ADSL modem is blocking high ports like
8082?

Thanks a lot!

Dimitry

2. Found a bug in Solaris x86. Where to report?

3. Port 80 vs Port 8080 for HTTP servers

4. x86 user needs help with NIC config

5. kernel: 80 80 80 80

6. Recommend an internal CD-R/W

7. lilo L 80 80 80 80.....

8. floppy0: unable to allocate DMA memory

9. HTTP port 80

10. Typical Windows Dim-witt: HTTP Port 80 Open!!

11. Can't access other than port 80 via http

12. HTTP PUT via TELNET port 80 Question

13. access to http (port 80)