How to setup Virtual Private Networking (VPN) in Linux?

How to setup Virtual Private Networking (VPN) in Linux?

Post by HU Oue » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

When I dialup to my ISP, and I want to use the resource in my university, I
have to "dialup" again through vpn gate to the server of my university.  I
can do it by set up the VPN protocol in windows, but how can I do in Linux?
Thx!

How to setup Virtual Private Networking (VPN) in Linux?

Post by Tauno Voipi » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> When I dialup to my ISP, and I want to use the resource in my university,
> have to "dialup" again through vpn gate to the server of my university.  I
> can do it by set up the VPN protocol in windows, but how can I do in
Linux?
> Thx!

First, you ought to know which is the VPN protocol used by the server. If it
is built-in in Windows, I guess that it is PPTP. There is pretty good
documentation in the Linux documents about PPTP (Point-to-point Tunneling
Protocol).

Tauno Voipio

How to setup Virtual Private Networking (VPN) in Linux?

Post by #HU OU'ER » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:10:14

Yes!  It is PPTP.  Thanks. I will read the PPTP-HOWTO
Posted At: Thursday, November 23, 2000 1:38 AM
Posted To: comp.os.linux.networking
Conversation: How to setup Virtual Private Networking (VPN) in Linux?
Subject: Re: How to setup Virtual Private Networking (VPN) in Linux?

Post by HU Oue » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>> When I dialup to my ISP, and I want to use the resource in my
>> university,
>> have to "dialup" again through vpn gate to the server of my university.
>>  I can do it by set up the VPN protocol in windows, but how can I do in
> Linux?
>> Thx!

> First, you ought to know which is the VPN protocol used by the server.
> If it is built-in in Windows, I guess that it is PPTP. There is pretty
> good documentation in the Linux documents about PPTP (Point-to-point
> Tunneling Protocol).

But where is it?  I cannot find PPTP-HOWTO!

Post by Joerg Morbitze » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> >> When I dialup to my ISP, and I want to use the resource in my
> >> university,
> >> have to "dialup" again through vpn gate to the server of my university.
> >>  I can do it by set up the VPN protocol in windows, but how can I do in
> > Linux?
> >> Thx!

> > First, you ought to know which is the VPN protocol used by the server.
> > If it is built-in in Windows, I guess that it is PPTP. There is pretty
> > good documentation in the Linux documents about PPTP (Point-to-point
> > Tunneling Protocol).

> But where is it?  I cannot find PPTP-HOWTO!

Try this link:

http://www.moretonbay.com/vpn/pptp.html

1. private network -VPN-private network routing

I have set up a VPN with an SSH tunnel with the following topology
192.168.0.7

------------------------
|192.168.0.1(PRIVATE)   |
|a.a.a.a(PUBLIC CLASS c)|____
------------------------    |

                        -----------------
                        | 192.168.253.2 |
                        |  ssh-ppp-vpn  |
                        |               |
                        | 192.168.253.3 |
                        -----------------

------------------------    |
B.B.B.B(public CLASS C)|____|
10.240.2.11(CLASS C)   |
------------------------

------------------------
10.240.2.2             |
------------------------

I have set the routing up such that I can ping every ip address on the
A  and B internet(public) machines and the ppp tunnel. But if I am on
either machine 10.240.2.2 or 192.168.0.7, I cannot ping from public to
oposite private or from private to private.  I have enabled IP
forwarding on both boxes.  Machine A is redhat 6.2 machine b is redhat
7 if that matters.  Any body have any idea what I should check to
enable private network to private network communication.

Todd
Todd Gruben
Daring Technologies
Austin Tx

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Getting connected

3. Virtual Private Network (VPN) with Linux and security

4. HP LaserJet III, ethernet cards?

5. VPN Virtual Private Network

6. How to config PHP with MySQL support?

7. Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Public Domain Software

8. Linux RH 6.1 GPL or Linux RH Standard?

9. Question on VPN (Virtual Private Networking)i

10. vpn, (Virtual Private Network)?

11. VPN(Virtual Private Network)

12. Help: ipsecadm usage ... and VPN setup using private networks

13. Virtual Private Network in Linux