Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

Post by Anti-Tamal » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 07:52:18

Hi!

I got windows XP and Mandrake linux networked with each other.
Lately, I came upon an odd problem.  I save all my downloaded proggys
,music etc in one big folder. It gotten to be 5 gig in size. Lately I
have not been able to write any data to this windows xp share folder
from my linux box. I can read and WRITE /MAKE " NEW FOLDERS ONLY" but
samba refuses to transfer any size file and comes back with a "
insufficient disk space problem " .  Since the share folder is in the
XP machine, and I never had any problems at all before xfering files I
came to the conclusion that it must be either a bug in samba? maybe ?
or a XP share restriction issue.  I checked the share folder
attributes , user, rights etc and all checks well.

I then decided to make a whole new folder and have the same folder
attributes as the one described above. I then tried and sucesfully
transfered a file from linux to windows.  So, according to what I have
seen and learned so far, it seems like windows has a maximum folder
size limit ??? if so, how can you disable it?

Any ideas guys?

TIA!

Post by Martin Coope » Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:19:47

> Hi!

> I got windows XP and Mandrake linux networked with each other.
> Lately, I came upon an odd problem.  I save all my downloaded proggys
> ,music etc in one big folder. It gotten to be 5 gig in size. Lately I
> have not been able to write any data to this windows xp share folder
> from my linux box. I can read and WRITE /MAKE " NEW FOLDERS ONLY" but
> samba refuses to transfer any size file and comes back with a "
> insufficient disk space problem " .  Since the share folder is in the
> XP machine, and I never had any problems at all before xfering files I
> came to the conclusion that it must be either a bug in samba? maybe ?
> or a XP share restriction issue.  I checked the share folder
> attributes , user, rights etc and all checks well.

> I then decided to make a whole new folder and have the same folder
> attributes as the one described above. I then tried and sucesfully
> transfered a file from linux to windows.  So, according to what I have
> seen and learned so far, it seems like windows has a maximum folder
> size limit ??? if so, how can you disable it?

> Any ideas guys?

> TIA!

Hi,
    you'll probably get a better response to this in an MS newsgroup rather
than a linux one.  Anyway, are you using FAT32 for the filesystem in XP ?
IIRC FAT32 had a limit on the number of entries in the root of a drive, I
thnk it was 512, but could be wrong on that.  I believe this restriction is
removed if you upgrade the filesystem to NTFS.  Bu if you are creating so
many files, wouldn't it be better to use sub-directories anyway to organise
things better ?

        Martin