Can NOT TELNET but can ping.

Post by kms.. » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello, I have a PC and a laptop both connected via a 10Base T hub. At
> one point the Laptop was running RH 5.1, I upgraded it to 6.2 while
> keeping the desktop at 6.0. I used t be able to telnet, ftp and rlogin
> from either one to the other. Ever since I upgraded the laptop, I can
> telnet, ftp, rlogin only from the laptop to the desktop, but not the
> other way around. However, I can ping the laptop from the desktop
> without problems.

What error output are you getting?

Are you running telnet, ftp, and rlogin services on the laptop?

Why are you using these insecure protocols rather than ssh and scp?

--

 Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                    http://www.opensales.org
  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?   Debian GNU/Linux rocks!

Can NOT TELNET but can ping.

Post by Michael Meissne » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hello, I have a PC and a laptop both connected via a 10Base T hub. At
> one point the Laptop was running RH 5.1, I upgraded it to 6.2 while
> keeping the desktop at 6.0. I used t be able to telnet, ftp and rlogin
> from either one to the other. Ever since I upgraded the laptop, I can
> telnet, ftp, rlogin only from the laptop to the desktop, but not the
> other way around. However, I can ping the laptop from the desktop
> without problems.

> Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

(note, I'm in the compiler group, not the Linux group, so any answer is based
on my usage of Linux as a user, not as Redhat policy...).

I believe the telnetd is no longer started in the 6.1 or 6.2 time frame.  If
you edit /etc/inetd.conf, you can probably see whether it is started or not.
You should have a line similar to:

        telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

without the leading '#'.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.

Can NOT TELNET but can ping.

Post by Ahmed Abukmai » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello, I have a PC and a laptop both connected via a 10Base T hub. At
one point the Laptop was running RH 5.1, I upgraded it to 6.2 while
keeping the desktop at 6.0. I used t be able to telnet, ftp and rlogin
from either one to the other. Ever since I upgraded the laptop, I can
telnet, ftp, rlogin only from the laptop to the desktop, but not the
other way around. However, I can ping the laptop from the desktop
without problems.

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Ahmed

Can NOT TELNET but can ping.

Post by Peter Teube » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hello, I have a PC and a laptop both connected via a 10Base T hub. At
> one point the Laptop was running RH 5.1, I upgraded it to 6.2 while
> keeping the desktop at 6.0. I used t be able to telnet, ftp and rlogin
> from either one to the other. Ever since I upgraded the laptop, I can
> telnet, ftp, rlogin only from the laptop to the desktop, but not the
> other way around. However, I can ping the laptop from the desktop
> without problems.

> Any ideas would greatly be appreciated

reverse name lookup perhaps?
If so, add proper entries in /etc/hosts for both machines,
that should solve it.

- peter

Can NOT TELNET but can ping.

Post by Bob Chiodin » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

If you did not specify the "server" install or install everything, Redhat
does not seem to install inetd and it's support software.

Either reinstall Redhat, or RPM in the specific packages.  I like kpackage
or gnorpm as a gui frontend to rpm.  You get a better look at what you get
and need.

Bob...

> Hello, I have a PC and a laptop both connected via a 10Base T hub. At
> one point the Laptop was running RH 5.1, I upgraded it to 6.2 while
> keeping the desktop at 6.0. I used t be able to telnet, ftp and rlogin
> from either one to the other. Ever since I upgraded the laptop, I can
> telnet, ftp, rlogin only from the laptop to the desktop, but not the
> other way around. However, I can ping the laptop from the desktop
> without problems.

> Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

> Thanks

> Ahmed

1. Canned "ping"

    Within a ksh script, I would like to first determine whether or not
a remote
host is alive before I attempt other network access to it, (file reads
or writes).
The ping command seems to be the logical solution, but if I have to wait
for
the ping command to fail due to network time-out to indicate that the
remote
host is not available I've gained nothing over just letting my other
network
access commands time-out.

    Is there a way to execute ping wrapped in a timer - such as in a
subprocess
that gets killed by it's parent if it doesn't end within a practical
time interval?
It seems to me that that should work, but what I'm really looking for is

someone who would share code that has already been written.

    Much appreciated.

2. Help - Unable to cds in Linux

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. PF web interface

5. ipchains and ntpd udp 123

6. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

7. Xi Graphics - Accel-X

8. CGI: apache canned response

9. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

10. Any Canned Class code?

11. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?

12. RH 6.2 cannot ping, but will respond to ping and telnet