new DNS zone question

Post by Teste » Thu, 28 Apr 2011 03:09:27

Hi there,
How would I go about creating a zone for a new domain, ex. newdomain?
I want this just to be an alias name for my existing domain, ex.
olddomain?
All DNS and MX records should be hosted on the existing DNS server.
Everything users type in the browser should point/redirect to the old
domain, old web site.
Thank you, T

new DNS zone question

Post by Chris Davie » Fri, 29 Apr 2011 00:39:19

> How would I go about creating a zone for a new domain, ex. newdomain?
> I want this just to be an alias name for my existing domain, ex.
> olddomain?
> All DNS and MX records should be hosted on the existing DNS server.
> Everything users type in the browser should point/redirect to the old
> domain, old web site.

This is two (separate, but often related) questions. A few for you first
are these, though, to determine how much detail you need:

* Do you know about DNS records (A, CNAME, MX)? The reason I ask is that
  you say "DNS and MX records" but MX records are actually part of DNS,
  not something alongside it

* Do you own the domains in question

* Is this for internal use (your own LAN) or public (the Internet)?

* Does your web server use virtual hosts or is it nice and simple IP-based
  hosting? Do you have configuration control over your web server?

* Do you have configuration control over your email server? (Sufficient
  to allow it to recognise and route newdomain as well as olddomain.)

Chris

1. zones - problem with configuring another, new zone

Hello,

sparc Solaris 10 3/05 + Recommended patches. We have configured three
local zones and are configuring right now fourth zone. After installing
and connecting to the zone console (zlogin -C ...) while configuring
network:

  Host Name for hme0:4

  Enter the host name which identifies this system on the network.  The name
  must be unique within your domain; creating a duplicate host name will cause
  problems on the network after you install Solaris.

  A host name must be at least two characters; it can contain letters, digits,
  and minus signs (-).

    Host name for hme0:4 3000

    Esc-2_Continue    Esc-6_Help

 we get:

  Confirm Information for hme0:4

  > Confirm the following information.  If it is correct, press F2;
    to change any information, press F4.

    Networked: Yes
    Host name: 3000

  Just a moment...

Assertion failed: have_min_net_info(nc) == TRUE, file main.c, line 1468

Below is configuration for the zone:
bash-3.00# zonecfg -z 3000
zonecfg:3000> info
zonepath: /zones/3000
autoboot: true
pool:
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /lib
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /platform
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /usr
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /sbin
fs:
        dir: /usr/local
        special: /zones/local/3000
        raw not specified
        type: lofs
net:
        address: 192.168.220.252/24
        physical: hme0
zonecfg:3000>

Does anybody know what is wrong ?

przemol

2. Port 25 scan

3. DNS Zone transfer question

4. Classes

5. DNS zone file configuration question

6. Matrix libraries?

7. DNS question re: Zone file and Subnets

8. fixed freq w/station monitors

9. DNS reverse zone question

10. Creating a "zone" from another "zone" (from another "zone" (from another "zone" )) ...

11. DNS ZONE

12. What is a name record in a zone file of a DNS server?

13. To Configure A Multi Zone DNS On A Subnet?