need to change/reset the IRQ on a 3com PCI 3C905B-TX

need to change/reset the IRQ on a 3com PCI 3C905B-TX

Post by Brian Hal » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am running a dual-boot Linux/Win95 system. I normally run Linux
almost all the time, but today I decided I wanted to reboot to W95 to
play Master of Orion 2, which meant I needed to reinstall the 3com
network drivers to copy the files from my wife's W95 PC. When I did
that, somehow the 3com card got its IRQ reassigned to 5, which
conflicts with my SB16 sound card. For various reasons, I can't/don't
want to change the SB IRQ, so somehow I need to find a way to reset,
clear, or reassign the IRQ chosen by the 3com card. I tried forcing the
IRQ to change in 95 (to 11 or 12), but the IRQ displayed for the network
card on boot remained at 5. After many more attempts at this and
several remove/install cycles of the drivers, 95 won't boot anymore
(this is not what I care about right now; the partition is there for
games and -har-har- hardware reconfiguration).

I have powered off the system, pulled the card from the system, reset
the PnP stuff in the BIOS setup, all to no avail. Is there anyway to
reconfigure this card, preferably from Linux or a DOS boot disk? BTW,
the provided diagnostics only display the IRQ, they don't allow to
change it.

I am running RedHat Linux 5.1 on a Abit IT5H motherboard. I also have
PCI Linksys and WD8013 network cards in this machine. BTW, the 3com
card is working fine; I can ping thru it. But it is effectively
disabling my sound card by taking the wrong IRQ.

Any help is greatly appreciated; please reply by email also.

need to change/reset the IRQ on a 3com PCI 3C905B-TX

Post by Don Fiendelion » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

In your BIOS you should have a place to reserve IRQs for non PnP/PCI
devices. if you reserve 5, the bios won't choose 5 for the card

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Don Fiendelioni

"So excuse me Mr., but uh.. I'm a mister too, you're giving mister a bad
name Mr. like you. So I'm taking the Mr. from out in front of your name,
'cause it's a Mr. like you that puts the rest of us to shame." -Ben Harper

"That shit they say about you all, it ain't true man, it ain't true." -Watts
Prophets

"Rejoice, as we will destroy racism in our lifetime." -Henry Rollins

Quote:>I am running a dual-boot Linux/Win95 system. I normally run Linux
>almost all the time, but today I decided I wanted to reboot to W95 to
>play Master of Orion 2, which meant I needed to reinstall the 3com
>network drivers to copy the files from my wife's W95 PC. When I did
>that, somehow the 3com card got its IRQ reassigned to 5, which
>conflicts with my SB16 sound card. For various reasons, I can't/don't
>want to change the SB IRQ, so somehow I need to find a way to reset,
>clear, or reassign the IRQ chosen by the 3com card. I tried forcing the
>IRQ to change in 95 (to 11 or 12), but the IRQ displayed for the network
>card on boot remained at 5. After many more attempts at this and
>several remove/install cycles of the drivers, 95 won't boot anymore
>(this is not what I care about right now; the partition is there for
>games and -har-har- hardware reconfiguration).

>I have powered off the system, pulled the card from the system, reset
>the PnP stuff in the BIOS setup, all to no avail. Is there anyway to
>reconfigure this card, preferably from Linux or a DOS boot disk? BTW,
>the provided diagnostics only display the IRQ, they don't allow to
>change it.

>I am running RedHat Linux 5.1 on a Abit IT5H motherboard. I also have
>PCI Linksys and WD8013 network cards in this machine. BTW, the 3com
>card is working fine; I can ping thru it. But it is effectively
>disabling my sound card by taking the wrong IRQ.

>Any help is greatly appreciated; please reply by email also.

need to change/reset the IRQ on a 3com PCI 3C905B-TX

Post by Eugene Nin » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

search 3com's site for the drivers and when you Dl them there will be an
executable program to setup the card.  For example my 3c509b the program on
the driver disk is 3c5x9cfg.exe.  If you can't change the settings from
windows it probably means the card had pnp turned off.  you can boot to dos,
run the program set the card to a specific IRQ that way.
Eugene

>I am running a dual-boot Linux/Win95 system. I normally run Linux
>almost all the time, but today I decided I wanted to reboot to W95 to
>play Master of Orion 2, which meant I needed to reinstall the 3com
>network drivers to copy the files from my wife's W95 PC. When I did
>that, somehow the 3com card got its IRQ reassigned to 5, which
>conflicts with my SB16 sound card. For various reasons, I can't/don't
>want to change the SB IRQ, so somehow I need to find a way to reset,
>clear, or reassign the IRQ chosen by the 3com card. I tried forcing the
>IRQ to change in 95 (to 11 or 12), but the IRQ displayed for the network
>card on boot remained at 5. After many more attempts at this and
>several remove/install cycles of the drivers, 95 won't boot anymore
>(this is not what I care about right now; the partition is there for
>games and -har-har- hardware reconfiguration).

>I have powered off the system, pulled the card from the system, reset
>the PnP stuff in the BIOS setup, all to no avail. Is there anyway to
>reconfigure this card, preferably from Linux or a DOS boot disk? BTW,
>the provided diagnostics only display the IRQ, they don't allow to
>change it.

>I am running RedHat Linux 5.1 on a Abit IT5H motherboard. I also have
>PCI Linksys and WD8013 network cards in this machine. BTW, the 3com
>card is working fine; I can ping thru it. But it is effectively
>disabling my sound card by taking the wrong IRQ.

>Any help is greatly appreciated; please reply by email also.

1. 3COM 3C905b-tx NIC, dropping packets and incorrect IRQ

Hello,

I figured as long as I saw some posts about the 3c90x series of NIC's, I thought that I would check and see if I could get my problem
solved.
When I install linux fresh, my ethernet adapter gets detected fine no problem...bootp identifies my IP, and other information
(different from that in windows...but that is no big deal)  The problem is that I get about 3.5k/s to the redhat mirror site on my
campus (mirror.clarkson.edu).  When I am in windows, I get around 7-800 k/s from this server.  Right now I am running redhat 6.0
(kernel: 2.2.7) on an PII 400 Tyan S1832dl board.  I have tried to do the following to troubleshoot this:
Disable USB support in my bios (because when I boot the machine, the nic is assigned IRQ: 9, but /proc/interrupts says that eth0=IRQ
19?!?!  For other hardware I have: Monster 3DII accelerator, DXR2 DVD decoder card, Syquest 1 gig sparq drive, maxtor 11GB HD, Creative
Labs DVD encore drive, and an AWE64 (which I must say works PERFECT w/ RedHat!!!)

I hope that someone out there has some experiance and can help me out...TIA
David Blado

--
http://town.newbury.nh.us (Newbury, NH Web Site)

ICQ UIN#:      821651
ICQ NickName:  David

        ($)-($)
         \___/

2. overclocking soyo5vd5

3. 3COM Fast Etherlink XL 10/100Base-TX (3c905B-TX)

4. 4 port board - availability ?

5. RX errors with 3Com 3c905b-TX PCI card on RedHat6.0

6. USB to LAN to Router

7. 3com 3c905b-tx card, driver needed..

8. avermedia tv capture

9. Two 3C905B-TX on the same IRQ

10. 3com 3c59x Vortex (3C905B-TX) Problems

11. 3com 3C905B-TX

12. 3Com 3C905B-TX runs at 10M instead of 100M

13. Where I can find 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC driver for Solaris 9 SPARC version