Why can't I ping local domains set up with named ???

Why can't I ping local domains set up with named ???

Post by Dan Krone » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Using RH Linux 6.2.
I set up local domain databases in /var/named, restarted named and I cannot
ping any of them.  They were working fine on another system. /etc/named.conf
points to /var/named/named.local which defines my main domain.  It must be
set up wrong.  Does anyone have a sample named.local file they can send me?

Thanks!

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>Using RH Linux 6.2.
>I set up local domain databases in /var/named, restarted named and I cannot
>ping any of them.  They were working fine on another system. /etc/named.conf
>points to /var/named/named.local which defines my main domain.  It must be
>set up wrong.  Does anyone have a sample named.local file they can send me?

>Thanks!

/var/named/named.local should only define localhost (NOT your LAN or
domain) and should not have been touched.  Names for your LAN and IP's for
reverse lookup for your domain or LAN should be separate files.  For
example I put them in /var/named/pz dir like the DNS-HOWTO.

What do you see in /var/log/messages when you do 'ndc restart' and what
response do you get when you 'nslookup' those names or the IP returned
from them?

Also make sure that you did not handle the conf files on a DOS/Win box or
if you did, ftp upload them from the Win box as ASCII text (not binary).

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. I can ping, why can't I use domain names on Linux RH 8.0?

Hi people,

I am a total newbie but anxious to cut my teeth on Linux. Please
excuse my ignorance if I say something stupid!

I just installed RH 8.0 on my laptop which is also running Windows XP.
I have my laptop connected at home to a hub which feeds into my DSL
modem. My home desktop computer is also connected to the same hub,
sharing the DSL connection.

When both computers are logged into Windows the internet connection is
available and I can look up domain names as normal. My provider uses
DHCP so the IP address and domain name server etc all comes in
automatically.

However, if I login with my laptop under Linux, I can ping IP
addresses but I cannot ping or browse to sites using the domain name.

As far as I can tell when I use ifconfig or use the Gnome network
config applet things are set correctly - the IP address is there etc.
I compared to the info from windows which works. I also looked at
/etc/resolv.conf and it does have the same DNS Name server as when I
log in to Windows.

I love what I see from Linux so far and I would hate to be thrust back
into Windows dependance just because I cant browse the web.

Can anyone help me? I know I probably did not provide enough info but
if someone could help me trouble shoot and tell what info to look at
or post, I would be hugely appreciative.

Thanks,
Dave

2. VPN on Linux using pam_smb

3. Why I can't ping local NIC's IP?

4. Audio channels switch left right on multiple plays

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. Solaris 2.4 and SUN PPP

7. Set up 'named' to map domain to ip alias

8. A module mystery!

9. why can't i ping windows machine in the same domain?

10. Can't ping gateway (default) by name, but otherwise fine... why?

11. Can't ping local host but can ping others

12. nslookup works, ping #'s works, ping domain fails?

13. Why can't nslookup find the domain/host name?