Default Route always sets default interface

Post by Christian Gaspe » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 20:22:17

Hello,

I'm trying to connect my network through a Debian Linux firewall to the
outside world. The Linux firewall has two NIC's of which one is connected to
a cisco router (crosslink-cable) and the other to the internal network.
The router has a /29 or .248 subnet so that I have 8 fixed IP-adresses.

To save this valuable resource I decided to use private IP-adresses between
cisco and firewall (otherwise I have to split the subnet and there's nothing
effectively left to use).

The cisco has 192.168.0.1 und the firewall has 192.168.0.2.
The standard gateway on the cisco is 192.168.0.2 and the default gateway on
the firewall is 192.168.0.1.
The second NIC of the firewall gets a real public IP and - via ip-alias - a
192.168.31.3 (for some clients to surf the internet via ipmasq).
IP forward is set to yes and so with the connected clients having a public
IP everything works fine.
But the Linux box itself can't connect to the internet and it can't do IP
masquerading because it sends packets with it's source address of
192.168.0.2 to the cisco so that no internet host can answer.

Is there any way besides patching the kernel to change this behavior? If I
could set the IP address for outgoing connections to the public one I think
the problem is solved.

Ciao
Christian

1. Two interfaces: Set default default route?

OK, I have two interfaces, one slow, one fast.  I want to use the fast
one as the default (obviously), but I need to have the other one
available for some people that can only reach me through that one.
How can I tell the machine to use the fast one by default.  Am I
correct in saying that if I nix the default route for the slow
connection that people from the slow net that are not on the same
subnet would not be able to contact me?

Thanks!

--Dan

2. How to configure the Sun Solstice Agent .reg and .acl files in order to forward trap to the manager machine

3. Kernel 2.4.2 routing -- default gw always set to ippp0

4. Support for ESS Maestro sound card on Dell I7K Laptop

5. Routed, default routes and ppp0 interfaces ?

6. Programming in X ?

7. pppd not setting up default route in routing table

8. X-Windows True color support?

9. How automatic route trafic from default gateway to second gateway then connect to default will broken

10. IP routing - Default + non-default GWs Crashing!?

11. tcp/ip routing question - setting the default route beyond the local router?

12. Multiple default routes - sorting by interface priority

13. How do I add default route for PPP interface as non-root user?