DHCPD starting before ETH0 gives error.

Post by edavid3.. » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 01:13:03

DHCPD is configured to only listen on eth0.

When it starts at boot time it states that there is no subnet for
0.0.0.0 defined in my dhcpd.conf file, so it exits.

This is because DHCPD is starting up at the same time as ETH0, and ETH0
is not yet up on the proper network.

If I start DHCPD after boot, it works just fine.

So the question is how to properly setup DHCPD so it starts on boot.

Should I define the subnet 0.0.0.0?

subnet 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { }

Should I set DHCPD not to autostart, but have it start in rc.local?

What's the best way to handle this?

Thanks;

Edwin.

Post by Unru » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:44:20

>On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:13:03 -0800, edavid3001 shouted Hoy......
>> DHCPD is configured to only listen on eth0.

>> When it starts at boot time it states that there is no subnet for
>> 0.0.0.0 defined in my dhcpd.conf file, so it exits.

That is the default route.

Quote:

>> This is because DHCPD is starting up at the same time as ETH0, and ETH0
>> is not yet up on the proper network.

So, put in a delay in starting up dhcpd. Ie, put in a test to see if
default route is defined until route -n|grep '^0.0.0.0 ' ;do sleep 1; done
assuming of course that network is started before dhcpcd. ( you might want
to put a count in there so it would not hang waiting for default route
forever)

Quote:

>> If I start DHCPD after boot, it works just fine.

>> So the question is how to properly setup DHCPD so it starts on boot.

>> Should I define the subnet 0.0.0.0?

>> subnet 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { }

That makes no sense whatsoever. There exists no subnet which starts 0.0.0.

Quote:

>> Should I set DHCPD not to autostart, but have it start in rc.local?

Well it is started somewhere. Probably in /etc/rc3.d
Give it a higher number.
Quote: