URGENT : Downsides of upstream bandwidth limit ?

URGENT : Downsides of upstream bandwidth limit ?

Post by Wim Godde » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Could someone explain me what the downsides of limiting upstream
bandwidth are ? I have a technical discussion tomorrow with the company
who wants to limit our upstream bandwidth and need to make it clear to
him that this is a very bad thing to do.

URGENT : Downsides of upstream bandwidth limit ?

Post by Mike Schopp » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I assume you are referring to a DSL connection. A normal home user
with out an internal web server would generally benefit from an
upstream limit. On the other hand, a small business with a public
accessable server would be best served with an equal split of the
bandwidth between upstream and downstream. And a third example for
clarity would be an e-business, which would want to go heavy on the
upstream. The amount of data and the direction of flow should be
your metric.

Hope that helps.
Mike Schoppe

> Could someone explain me what the downsides of limiting upstream
> bandwidth are ? I have a technical discussion tomorrow with the company
> who wants to limit our upstream bandwidth and need to make it clear to
> him that this is a very bad thing to do.

1. upstream bandwidth limiting with tc & iptables

I cannot seem to limit upstream bandwidth.
I have set up tc & iptables to limit downloading, but I am trying to
get them to limit uploading as well.
Is there any way to do this?

I currently have the following (without extra class info)
# tc qdisc add dev eth1 root handle 1: htb default 10
# tc class add dev eth1 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 9Mbit ceil 9Mbit
# tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 5Mbit ceil 5Mbit
# tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:30 htb rate 768kbit ceil
768kbit
# tc qdisc add dev eth1 parent 1:10 handle 10: sfq perturb 10
# tc qdisc add dev eth1 parent 1:30 handle 30: sfq perturb 10
# tc filter add dev eth1 protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 handle 6 fw flowid
1:30

# iptables -A FORWARD -t mangle -i eth0 -d 192.168.1.6 -j MARK --set-mark 6

eth0 is WAN adapter with IP 216.x.y.z
eth1 is LAN adapter with IP 192.168.1.254

If I download a file using ftp - I get about 768Kbits.
If I upload a file using ftp - I get the full speed of the line ( 20Mbit )

I can't seem to generate the correct iptables entry that would allow me to
limit the upstream bandwidth.
I am currently nat'ing the LAN ip with  # iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o
$EXTIF -j MASQUERADE
this is for testing, later I will be putting a public ClassC address on the
LAN side.(if that matters)

-Glenn Sherman
(bogus email)

2. Ethernet trouble in RedHat 5.1

3. Aggregating upstream bandwidth

4. Help! Allocating space on devices

5. Linux Upstream VS Windows Upstream

6. urgent!!! grep

7. ftp/urgent/urgent/urgent

8. Linux JDK and HotSpot

9. URGENT URGENT URGENT

10. ftp problem/urgent/urgent/urgent

11. Limiting outgoing bandwidth per machine, using Linux (2.2.19) on ADSL

12. Is it possible to tweak cable modem hardware so it doesn't limit my bandwidth?

13. Limiting bandwidth - HOW?!