Connecting to Linux file system from Win95

Connecting to Linux file system from Win95

Post by Greg McCan » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

I've just set up Linux on my network, which also includes two
Win95 pc's.

I can connect to the Linux box with telnet, ftp, and Netscape.

But I can't yet view the Linux file system from Win95.  I have
attempted to set up nfs, though I don't know if I've done it
right.

If nfs is set up correctly, should I be able to see it from Win95
or is there still a piece missing?

greg

Post by Larry Doolitt » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

: I've just set up Linux on my network, which also includes two
: Win95 pc's.
: I can connect to the Linux box with telnet, ftp, and Netscape.
: But I can't yet view the Linux file system from Win95.  I have
: attempted to set up nfs, though I don't know if I've done it
: right.

Use samba.  Look in sunsite.unc.edu (or mirrors) in
pub/Linux/system/Network/samba.  As long as you use TCP/IP for
the Win95 PC's (not NetBEUI), it should behave perfectly.

Post by Dan Newcom » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

>I've just set up Linux on my network, which also includes two
>Win95 pc's.

Oh...those poor PC's :)

Quote:>But I can't yet view the Linux file system from Win95.  I have
>attempted to set up nfs, though I don't know if I've done it
>right.
>If nfs is set up correctly, should I be able to see it from Win95
>or is there still a piece missing?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that NFS will go and broadcast
that it has drives to mount.  If you actually tried to NFS mount them
from Windows95 and it failed, that's another story.  What worked for me
was Samba (I know it's on sunsite.unc.edu - /pub/Linux/system/Networking
something)  It acts as a SMB server, which is the same protocol that
Windows For Workgroups uses. Once I had that setup (overtop of TCP/IP), I
was able to tell it to access my Linux machine, and it became a folder under
Win95.  Pretty cool.  Too bad Win95 blew otherwise.  Wish I could do the same
under Win3.1

        -Dan

--

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"And the man in the mirror has sad eyes."       -Marillion

]
] Use samba.  Look in sunsite.unc.edu (or mirrors) in
] pub/Linux/system/Network/samba.  As long as you use TCP/IP for
] the Win95 PC's (not NetBEUI), it should behave perfectly.

Second this.  I'm running Samba 1.9.13, and it works like a charm with
Win95, WinNT, and WFWG.  You can even use long filenames on the first two.

Joe Thomas

:

Post by Douglas Sto » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

>(Larry Doolittle) writes:

>: : I can connect to the Linux box with telnet, ftp, and Netscape.
>: : But I can't yet view the Linux file system from Win95.  I have
>: : attempted to set up nfs, though I don't know if I've done it
>: : right.
>:
>: Use samba.  Look in sunsite.unc.edu (or mirrors) in
>: pub/Linux/system/Network/samba.  As long as you use TCP/IP for
>: the Win95 PC's (not NetBEUI), it should behave perfectly.
>Second this.  I'm running Samba 1.9.13, and it works like a charm with
>Win95, WinNT, and WFWG.  You can even use long filenames on the first two.

Do you know if mapping a network drive (from explorer) is possible
over a win95 ppp connection?  I can't seem to get it to work although
at school, samba works using my WFWG and ethernet.

Thanks

    **  Center for Music Research *   904-644-5786             **
    **  Florida State University  *   http://www.music.fsu.edu **