Is there a WinNT/Linux guide for idiots?

Is there a WinNT/Linux guide for idiots?

Post by nmil.. » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I've tried, but the terminologies of the two systems
have got me buffaloed.  Is there a simple guide that
translates WinNT terms such as WORKGROUP and
COMPUTER NAME into Linux or conversely
translates DOMAIN, HOST, etc.?  It would make it a
lot easier for dopes like me who would like to use
Samba.

Norman Miller

Post by Rick Onania » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I've tried, but the terminologies of the two systems
> have got me buffaloed.  Is there a simple guide that
> translates WinNT terms such as WORKGROUP and
> COMPUTER NAME into Linux or conversely
> translates DOMAIN, HOST, etc.?  It would make it a
> lot easier for dopes like me who would like to use
> Samba.

> Norman Miller

Well, the problem with such a 'rosetta stone' sort of thing, is that
there's not usually one word -> one word conversions. In your examples,
you're not confused about the vocabulary, you're confused about how it
works. Workgroup and computer name are the same in Linux as NT, and
domain and host are also the same - workgroup/name are used for Netware
and Microsoft networking (you'll use those with Samba). Domain and host
are used for TCP/IP (which you probably have in NT, as well as Linux).

Linux likes to look at things from a completely differant point of view
than Windows does, so you really just have to unlearn what you know, and
learn Linux from scratch.
--
  rick - a guy in search of raw (ISO) cd images of SuSE and Slackware
---------------

Post by Rod Roar » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I've tried, but the terminologies of the two systems
>have got me buffaloed.  Is there a simple guide that
>translates WinNT terms such as WORKGROUP and
>COMPUTER NAME into Linux or conversely
>translates DOMAIN, HOST, etc.?  It would make it a
>lot easier for dopes like me who would like to use
>Samba.

Get the book "Samba: Integrating Unix and Windows" by John D. Blair,
published by SSC.  Best explanation of Windows Networking that I've
ever seen.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

Is there a WinNT/Linux guide for idiots?

Post by Miguel Cr » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Get the book "Samba: Integrating Unix and Windows" by John D. Blair,
> published by SSC.  Best explanation of Windows Networking that I've ever
> seen.

It's so good that I use it to help me figure out purely Windows NT admin
issues.

miguel

1. idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Hi,

    I've got two 3.5GB disks and I want NT 4.0 on one and Linux on the
other, and ideally a dual boot system.

1.    Am I correct in thinking if I make the boot partition FAT16 I can
use LILO and dual boot NT and linux?

2.    And if I also make a large-ish partition  on the NT disk as FAT16
I can share files between the two?

3. Should I install NT first, then linux, or vice versa?

Thanks,

    Martin

2. Number Nine SR9 and XFree 3.3.5

3. idiot's guide to unix/linux

4. quoting for prompt or xterm title in csh

5. Complete idiots guide to linux

6. XFree86 on Cirrus GL-5430

7. Modem software for Solaris2.4.x

8. need idiot's guide to networking with linux

9. compiling apache on linux & idiot's guide to proxy server?

10. Wanted Idiots guide or FAQ to networking 2/3 PC's using Linux.

11. idiot's guide to unix/linux

12. LINUX NEWBIE WANTS IDIOT-PROOF GUIDE TO INSTALLATION!