how can a machine has both a real domain name and a bogus domain name?

how can a machine has both a real domain name and a bogus domain name?

Post by Alex S » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 05:09:46

Hello,

I have a home network with a bogus domain, like mydomain.home.
Machines in the home lan all have a home IP address like 10.5.5.*, and
a home domain name. The server's name is lion.mydomain.home, and it's
IP is 10.5.5.1. I also have a real IP address, and I am thinking to
host a real domain name. My question is, how can I setup the real
domain, so that the server can have a real domain name? Should I just
create a new zone file, and add a record for it in the named.conf?
Thanks in advance!

Alex Shi

Post by Nathan Higgin » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:24:15

> Hello,

> I have a home network with a bogus domain, like mydomain.home.
> Machines in the home lan all have a home IP address like 10.5.5.*, and
> a home domain name. The server's name is lion.mydomain.home, and it's
> IP is 10.5.5.1. I also have a real IP address, and I am thinking to
> host a real domain name. My question is, how can I setup the real
> domain, so that the server can have a real domain name? Should I just
> create a new zone file, and add a record for it in the named.conf?
> Thanks in advance!

> Alex Shi

Your machine can only have a single hostname but can have many domains
pointing to its IP, you only need to edit your named.conf if your dns server
is the name server for your real domain. I _personally_ would change the
server's hostname to foo.bar and then add subsiquent domains that only work
on your local net, eg pc1.home.foo.bar (no need to make the world aware of
these hosts so only add them to your lan's dns server for reverse lookup for
example). On the other hand you can leave your machine as it is and it
shouldn't cause too many problems, virtual hosts can be used for apache and
proftpd. In that case your machine can be reached from both foo.bar and
mydomain.home.

--
Nathan D Higgins

Website: http://nathan.link9.net/
Email: nathan[at]link9[dot]net
Hosting: http://www.link9.net
MSN: nathan[at]link9[dot]net

Post by Alex S » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:13:21

> > Hello,

> > I have a home network with a bogus domain, like mydomain.home.
> > Machines in the home lan all have a home IP address like 10.5.5.*, and
> > a home domain name. The server's name is lion.mydomain.home, and it's
> > IP is 10.5.5.1. I also have a real IP address, and I am thinking to
> > host a real domain name. My question is, how can I setup the real
> > domain, so that the server can have a real domain name? Should I just
> > create a new zone file, and add a record for it in the named.conf?
> > Thanks in advance!

> > Alex Shi

> Your machine can only have a single hostname but can have many domains
> pointing to its IP, you only need to edit your named.conf if your dns server
> is the name server for your real domain. I _personally_ would change the
> server's hostname to foo.bar and then add subsiquent domains that only work
> on your local net, eg pc1.home.foo.bar (no need to make the world aware of
> these hosts so only add them to your lan's dns server for reverse lookup for
> example). On the other hand you can leave your machine as it is and it
> shouldn't cause too many problems, virtual hosts can be used for apache and
> proftpd. In that case your machine can be reached from both foo.bar and
> mydomain.home.

Thank you for the response!
Now my machine can run both the bogus name and the real domain name.
What I did was to add record in named.conf for the real domain and
created zone files for that domain.
I have a new questions: I have several virtual hosts running on this
machine. Say on one of them there's a form page. When submit form mail
from this page, apache will pick up the bogus name for the sender's
address. What should I do to have apache pick up the real domain name
for sender's email address?

THanks

Alex

how can a machine has both a real domain name and a bogus domain name?

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:16:30

Quote:> Hello,

> I have a home network with a bogus domain, like mydomain.home.
> Machines in the home lan all have a home IP address like 10.5.5.*, and
> a home domain name. The server's name is lion.mydomain.home, and it's
> IP is 10.5.5.1. I also have a real IP address, and I am thinking to
> host a real domain name. My question is, how can I setup the real
> domain, so that the server can have a real domain name? Should I just
> create a new zone file, and add a record for it in the named.conf?
> Thanks in advance!

> Alex Shi

Whether you can do your own DNS for your public IP depends upon whether
you have a static IP.  If you have a dynamic public IP, you can search for
'dns hosting' to find some services that can assign names to a dynamic IP
(they have a binary for updating them to your current IP).  I use
no-ip.com which has subdomains for free or your own domain for a fee.

I assign each computer a real internet hostname (makes mail easier), but
use private names in local DNS forward/reverse zones for my private IPs
(although each has its public name pointed at its own nic IP, so it can
find itself by its hostname).

Having multiple names pointing to an IP (even multiple A records) is no
problem.  Although, I think reverse DNS can only resolve an IP to one
name.

Post by Seth H Holme » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:56:28

> Hello,

> I have a home network with a bogus domain, like mydomain.home.
> Machines in the home lan all have a home IP address like 10.5.5.*, and
> a home domain name. The server's name is lion.mydomain.home, and it's
> IP is 10.5.5.1. I also have a real IP address, and I am thinking to
> host a real domain name. My question is, how can I setup the real
> domain, so that the server can have a real domain name? Should I just
> create a new zone file, and add a record for it in the named.conf?

I'm confused. You refer to an IP address 10.5.5.1 and then you
refer to a real IP address. What isn't real about 10.5.5.1? Looks
like a real IP address to me. It's RFC1918 address space.
Private address space. But it's certainly real. I think I need
some clarification.

Or maybe you do.

Okay, on to the useful bit.

Assuming your real domain name is registered with an actual
registrar and you are listed as the PRIMARY name server, you
would want to add an entry into BIND's named.conf configuration
and create a zone file which does your mappings. This is easy to
foul up so if you've never done it before, I suggest a lot of
reading before trying it. You can safely put your other machines
hostnames into this file as well with RFC1918 addresses. It won't
matter as these IPs are not reachable from the public Internet
without some NATting on your end. However, it's also possible to
put in zone files that are not advertised on the public Internet.
Any which way, if you don't allow for full transfers to DNS
servers that aren't authorized (see "dig axfr") then nobody
outside of your local network would ever know about these
hostnames anyway. So it's fairly safe to do. And then if you
point your local machines to your DNS server for DNS service,
you'll get full service without having to use some made up domain
name which may just cause you problems in the end anyway.

--
Seth H Holmes

Post by Dan » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:46:27

> I use
>no-ip.com which has subdomains for free or your own domain for a fee.

zoneedit.com will provide dns for free for 5 domains, with as many
sub-domains as you want.

Dan

Post by Nathan Higgin » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:35:13

> zoneedit.com will provide dns for free for 5 domains, with as many
> sub-domains as you want.

> Dan

www.dyndns.org if you're IP is dynamic used with zoneedit for the proper
domain, the perfect parnters, just create a cname pointing to the dyndns
address.

--
Nathan D Higgins

Website: http://nathan.link9.net/
Email: nathan[at]link9[dot]net
Hosting: http://www.link9.net
WAP: http://wap.link9.net
MSN: nathan[at]link9[dot]net

1. NIS domain names and DNS domain names not matching.

We are using a Solaris2.5.1 implementation of NIS (Not NIS+, e have SGI
systems on the network).  We have set the -b in the Makefile to resolve
hosts from DNS.  The DNS server has most of our hosts in a domain named
"houston.domain.com" and we use the NIS defaultdoamin of "domain.com"
There are also systems in midland and zimbabwe in DNS domains
"midland.domain,com" and "zimbabwe.domain.com".  I would like to be able
to resolve a host from NIS that may be in any of those domains without
specifying the .---.domain.com.

My /etc/resolv.conf looks like this;

search domain.com
hostresorder bind
nameserver 55.55.55.01
nameserver 55.55.55.02
search domain.com houston.domain.com \
midland.domain.com zimbabwe.domain.com

from an NIS client, I can ping foobar.zimbabwe.domain.com, but not
foobar.

The only workaround I have found thus far is to set aliases in DNS like
this;

55.45.00.200   foobar.zimbabwe.domain.com foobar.domain.com

Anyone have a better solution or a suggestion which might make life
easier?  Yes, I have to do it this way....policy.  No, the NIS/DNS names
below are not real.

Thanks in advance,
--

Anadarko Petroleum Corp, Houston (281)876-8619

UNIX doesn't ask you to confirm -- if you didn't want it to do what you
asked, why did you ask?'' -- Frank Willison, O'Reilly & Associates

2. Streamlining Upgrade from 2.3 to 2.5

3. Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

4. dump(8) and my tape drive

5. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

6. spinlock usage - ext2_get_block, lru_list_lock

7. include domain name in machine's name on install ?

8. Foxbase over NFS

9. Q, changing machine name and domain name inRH

10. Can one Domain Name Server be used for 2 domains ??

11. Resolving domain.com as well as name.domain.com

12. New Domain does not accept OLD domain name mail

13. Server Domain name & Host name