NICs

Post by cInDe » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

hey does anybody know how to properly install to NICs and configure them in
LINUX w/out conflicts??

cInDeR

NICs

Post by MRoma » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I had a problem like this starting out.  I made a bootdisk for dos, got into
the nic's dos config proggy, set it to non PnP mode, and *most importantly* set
the io address to something free.  I wrote this address down...

Then i went back into linux (slackware), went into my /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
file, edited a line to say:

/sbin/modprobe ne io=0x240

that's my special case tho, for someone else this would be more appropriate:

/sbin/modprobe ne io=0x[insert your NIC's IO addy here, hope u wrote it down
like I did]

That was it!  The dos config addy makes sure the assigned io addy it writes
doesn't conflict with anything.  Good luck!

> hey does anybody know how to properly install to NICs and configure them in
> LINUX w/out conflicts??

> cInDeR

1. NIC / network won't load: Compaq Netelligent 10/100 Embedded NIC, Eth0

Environment:
Macmillan Linux-Mandrake Deluxe Linux 6.5
Compaq Deskpro 6000 266/MMX 288MB SDRAM
Compaq Netelligent 10/100 embedded NIC

Problem:
Setup recognized the NIC, but when I boot Linux the network fails to initialize.  Side note: currently I'm not able to boot from SCSI disk, only floppy.  Anyway, what do I need to do to get my net connection up?  I'm using KDE and the Linuxconfig utility, but when I activate the changes I've made, the network still won't initialize.

The changes I made are: setting my default gateway, setting my DNS server addresses, setting up for DHCP, setting module type for NIC to "tlan" (which is what the documentation tells me to use).

What do I need to do to get my network connection up?  I'm obviously a Linux newbie, so please forgive my ignorance.  Thanks for any help!
Regards,

Scott

2. Verifying Tape Writes

3. NIC NIC

4. Linux netscape connection dead

5. Crossover Cable Needed for Direct NIC 2 NIC?

6. Can't get higher res than 1024x768 w/ SuSE 7.2, nVidia, X 4.0.3-- "(width too large)"

7. routing - 3comps - one dualport-nic & two "normal" nics

8. RH 5.1, Enlightenment 1.4, ESD problems

9. How to specify/detect an NIC when using two or more NIC

10. 4.2 nic aliasing, multiple IPs, one nic does not work???

11. unixware 7.1 doesn't have my NIC in the NIC list, how do I bypass

12. a couple of NICs that don't NIC

13. 10BASE-T NIC and 100mbps NIC to a dual-speed hub doesn't work?