forwarding requests to a specific port

Post by Remco van de Mee » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hey

I have two computers:

a 486 with Linux 2.0 and IP-masquerading configured, to give the
second one (pentium) access to the internet.

For some reasons, I want to forward every request on port yyyy on the
486 to the same port on the the computer behind the firewall.

Is that possible??
If so, it should be possible to display X-application (for ex.) on
the computer behind the "router".

If someone know some doc's about this problem, please point me to
them.

Thanks!

// Remco van de Meent

//   www: http://cal052012.student.utwente.nl
//   nParago on irc

forwarding requests to a specific port

Post by Matthew Driv » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hey

>I have two computers:

>a 486 with Linux 2.0 and IP-masquerading configured, to give the
>second one (pentium) access to the internet.

>For some reasons, I want to forward every request on port yyyy on the
>486 to the same port on the the computer behind the firewall.

>Is that possible??
>If so, it should be possible to display X-application (for ex.) on
>the computer behind the "router".

>If someone know some doc's about this problem, please point me to
>them.

Get ipautofw from ftp://ftp.netis.com/members/r*

The command you would put in your rc.inet1file is:
/sbin/ipautofw -A -r tcp yyyy yyyy -h 192.168.0.x

Have fun,

Matthew Driver

1. forward/masquerade UDP traffic for specific port #

I have a linux box (Red Hat 5.0, kernel version 2.0.32) that is acting
as an internet gateway using IP masquerading to connect an NT PC to
the internet.  Almost all my applications work fine across this, but I
have one specific application that uses UDP and needs to have it's
source port number perserved when the packet is forwarded out to the
internet.  Here's the idea:

<----- internal network ----> | <---- outside world -->

----+                    +----------+
NT  | A.A.A.A    B.B.B.B |  linux   | C.C.C.C
box |--------------------+   box    +----------> internet
    |                    |          |
----+                    +----------+

I have an application on the NT box that needs to connect via UDP to a
box on the internet.  It uses UDP, and sends over a particular port,
call it "N".  It uses the same port for source and destination, and
the server responds using the same ports.  The problem is that the
server won't respond if the source port on the packet is not equal to
"N", and since IP masquerading alters the source port on the outgoing
packet the application doesn't work (the server ignores it).

If the server were at address "D.D.D.D", then I'd like to see this:

A.A.A.A (port N) -> D.D.D.D (port N)   on local network

Linux box then "masquerades" only the IP address (it preserves the
port number)

C.C.C.C (port N) -> D.D.D.D (port N)   to internet

Server responds to a request with:

D.D.D.D (port N) -> C.C.C.C (port N)   back to linux box

Linux box then forwards to NT box:

D.D.D.D (port N) -> A.A.A.A (port N)   on local network

I think I can get the UDP redirection on the incoming packets working,
but I don't see how I can preserve the port number through the linux
box on the outgoing packets.  This is the only host on the internal
network that will use this port number, so any hard-coding in either
direction is OK.  Can this be done?  If so, how?

I would appreciate it if any replies could get copied to my e-mail
address as well...

Thanks,
Steve Chinatti

2. SuSE PPC 7.1 ISO !!!

3. ipchains: How do I forward packets from a specific port to another machine?

4. Evergreen CPU Pentium 100->330 MHz upgrade is Linux compatible?

5. iptables port forwarding for specific source addresses

6. HELP: Pasting Text in Netscape

7. ipfwadm: Forwarding specific ports

8. Linux on DOS card of PowerMac

9. Have squid forward to other proxy on specific port

10. specific port that identd requests come from?

11. Howto Forward Specific ports via ipchains on redhat 6.2?

12. forward a specific port through firewall?

13. forwarding request to another port