loopback to hostname

Post by Jos Berend » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello, hopefully this is an easy question for you.
I have set up my networking from only a loopback
device to a system where I want to connect to the
internet via the eth0 and a cable modem.
Therefore I set a 'hostname' and assigned an IP address
to my 'hostname'.

However, being disconnected from the net (Is this the problem?)
I can not get a loopback connection to my own machine with:
ftp 'hostname'
or
rlogin 'hostname'

I can do it with
ftp localhost
or
rlogin localhost

Why is the former not working in my case.
Before I had anything else but the loopback device
I could do it.
How do I correctly tell my computer that by calling 'hostname'
I mean the localhost?

Thanks in advance

--
Jos

loopback to hostname

Post by George Georgaki » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Try adding your machine name (hostname) to /etc/hosts

George

Quote:> Hello, hopefully this is an easy question for you.
> I have set up my networking from only a loopback
> device to a system where I want to connect to the
> internet via the eth0 and a cable modem.
> Therefore I set a 'hostname' and assigned an IP address
> to my 'hostname'.

> However, being disconnected from the net (Is this the problem?)
> I can not get a loopback connection to my own machine with:
> ftp 'hostname'
> or
> rlogin 'hostname'

> I can do it with
> ftp localhost
> or
> rlogin localhost

> Why is the former not working in my case.
> Before I had anything else but the loopback device
> I could do it.
> How do I correctly tell my computer that by calling 'hostname'
> I mean the localhost?

> Thanks in advance

> --
> Jos

1. ? loopback: ping `hostname`

Hello, Everyone,

I'm trying to get loopback to work on a stand alone machine, called
"slackbox",
with no network card, running slackware 3.5 Linux. My /etc/hosts is like
this,
#/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1     localhost    loopback
172.16.1.1   slackbox

`ping localhost` and `ping loopback` worked just fine, however,
`ping slackbox` FAILED with the error, "... network unreachable".

Can someone please enlight me on how to get this to work?
How do I let the computer loopback by referencing the hostname, i.e.,
        ping   `hostname`
        -------------------
By the way, slackware 3.5 doesn't support `ifconfig dummy ...`.

TIA.   Jianhong

2. using solaris to connect, via serial port, to a router

3. problem with ethernet loopback test using loopback plug/stub: receiving socket not seeing packet.

4. AMD PCNet32 on board adapter under Linux

5. loopback != loopback.uwc.edu (?)

6. Phillips CDROM (install linux from CD)

7. hostname and hostname -s

8. using linux /etc/passwd MD5 on FreeBSD

9. Use hostname or hostname.domain.name in /etc/hosts??

10. hostname.hme0 or hostname.hme1

11. Boot error message: My unqualified hostname (hostname) unknown; sleeping for retry...

12. HELP: hostname.leo; hostname files

13. What if I write ipaddress, not hostname in hostname.eri1?