URGENT: lost 'rsh', 'smb', and 'cd ~'

Post by Morpheu » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have, in a matter of twenty minutes, lost the ability to 'cd' to my home
directory, no matter what user I'm logged in as. Also, I lost 'rsh' and all
Samba access. I have no idea what's going on! The only thing I did was
change settings for one user in Linuxconf.

I have 'xhost +hostname' for every host that needs to use rexec. Plus, I
have a .rhosts file in my user directory with all hosts I might start a
remote X session from. When I log in on SSH or at the command line, I get
"bash: /home/user/.bashrc: Permission denied", but I can still log in. I
can't 'cd' to the home directory, but I can 'cd' to any other directory
owned by that user.

I use rsh to login from XWin32. That quit working. I use Samba to map Linux
home directories on my Win98 box. That quit working.

I'm LOST! Please help!

Dean.
--
morpheus [at] directlink [dot] net
http://www.Apt7.com

URGENT: lost 'rsh', 'smb', and 'cd ~'

Post by Koos P » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

| I have, in a matter of twenty minutes, lost the ability to 'cd' to my home
| directory, no matter what user I'm logged in as. Also, I lost 'rsh' and all
| Samba access. I have no idea what's going on! The only thing I did was
| change settings for one user in Linuxconf.

  | Never *NEVER* logout after changing these kind of system files.   |
  | *ALWAY* "su - <user>" first to see of you didn't break anything.  |

| I have 'xhost +hostname' for every host that needs to use rexec. Plus, I

Use "xhost +" for the moment.

| have a .rhosts file in my user directory with all hosts I might start a
| remote X session from.

Use "* <user>" for the moment.

| When I log in on SSH or at the command line, I get
| "bash: /home/user/.bashrc: Permission denied", but I can still log in. I
| can't 'cd' to the home directory, but I can 'cd' to any other directory
| owned by that user.

Check if the userid of the user (from /etc/passwd) is the same as the userid
of the files (ls -ln). The login names are only symbolic. The actual userid's
are the things being checked.
Any further clues from /var/log/messages ?

Koos Pol
S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".