Linux networking HELP, INTERNET HELP!!!! HELP!!!

Linux networking HELP, INTERNET HELP!!!! HELP!!!

Post by Mr. Ozette Brow » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a small network (2 PC's) one PC is  a Linux box running RH6 and
the other box is Window98.  Now the Linux box has IP Masquerading setup
and I use it to connect to the internet.  I can now use the Win98 box
(via the Linux box's internet connection) to browse the internet.

Here's the problem:
I cannot use the Linux box to browse the internet (even though the Win98
box can via the internet connection on the Linux box).  What could be
causing this problem?

I can't ping anywhere.  I thought it could be my resolv.conf but I think
I've set it up correctly.  What could prevent me from ping'ing at the
very least.

Could someone please help me with this matter.

Thanks,

Ozette
--
Mr. Ozette J. Brown   <President>

A Website Development and Consulting Company.
http://www.imaginative-creations.com

Linux networking HELP, INTERNET HELP!!!! HELP!!!

Post by araqn » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I cannot use the Linux box to browse the internet (even though the Win98
>box can via the internet connection on the Linux box).  What could be
>causing this problem?

>I can't ping anywhere.  I thought it could be my resolv.conf but I think
>I've set it up correctly.  What could prevent me from ping'ing at the
>very least.

So, pinging a numerical address doesn't work either, then? (You'll
learn the IP address of your provider's interface in time :})

Hm, what other ipchains rules have you set up?

SRH
--

there's something cold in the way you touch me
it's just the feeling you'd be better without me                      [mesh]

Linux networking HELP, INTERNET HELP!!!! HELP!!!

Post by Laurel Hil » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I don't have the answer - just a variation on your problem. I can ping my
ISP successfully, but cannot ping any IP past the ISP. I do know my ISP no
longer permits direct Internet access - everything comes through his proxy
server, but do not know where to set a proxy server. (if indeed this is the
problem!!).
Laurel