Host monitoring and statistics

Post by Geof » Sun, 11 May 2003 21:58:51

Hello

I'm interested in software used for monitoring network hosts.
Knowledge of system status, things like uptime, hard disk usage,
mem/swap usage, network connectivity are of the upmost importance to
us. It would be great to be able to Administrate a wide range of
servers from a central interface.

We currently use MRTG and some other statistics tools - but they are
prooving to be not comprehensive enough.

I have read about Nagios (www.nagios.org), but it seems to be designed
for a LAN environment - the programs it runs are constantly sending
information to the server. I would prefer something that uses minimal
bandwidth and is designed for testing remote and/or lan hosts, I dont
want to burn bandwidth. Nagios would be perfect otherwise, I realise
there is a parameter which can be set which enforces Nagios to update
less regularly - but due to the fact that it is designed for a LAN
environment, we will never use it.

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions or ideas.

Host monitoring and statistics

Post by asadche » Mon, 12 May 2003 00:34:01

May be OpenNMS?
http://www.sortova.com/tools/opennms/features/
I think it is as comprehensive as you can get.

It is free as in beer and speech btw.

--
32 Kbits Mono.
http://inix.ath.cx:8000/grob-radio   Panki Xoy!!!

Host monitoring and statistics

Post by Andreas Suber » Tue, 13 May 2003 00:38:44

Hi,

whats the best way to count traffic on specific network adapters (without my
lan...).
i have to watch my download/upload limit, otherwise i have to change my
provider:)

i'm using suse 8.1 and i'm not an expert..

thanks for every advice!
andreas

Post by Jan Reilin » Tue, 13 May 2003 03:34:05

> Hi,

> whats the best way to count traffic on specific network adapters (without my
> lan...).
> i have to watch my download/upload limit, otherwise i have to change my
> provider:)

> i'm using suse 8.1 and i'm not an expert..

> thanks for every advice!
> andreas

For some nice statistics you could use `iptraf', which is pretty neat
(it monitors traffic on all your interfaces, has various log and monitor
options). Or something like `mtrg`, to make graphs?

Use the force, Google around.

Regards, Jan

--
Dutch Security Information Network
http://www.dsinet.org/

1. Traffic-Statistics from host to host

Hi All!

I have instlled a Linux-Firewall/Router with two eth-devices.
One for the internal network, one for the connection to the Internet.
I need a tool which shows me the Internet-Traffic in a way like this:

local Host <-> remote Host, Protocol, Port, bytes

I have already tried ntop, but there I can only find the traffic of a
source-host, and not the destination-host!
When I call ntop with the option -L filename, there are both addresses, but
not the numer of bytes!

thanks.
Josef

2. mount can't find hda1

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Big news drive = crash?

5. Network statistic Network statistic

6. BWPOD???

7. Getting Statistics for Virtual Hosts with NCSA 1.5.x

8. Howto Move Complete Linux Installation to another HD ?

9. how to get bandwith statistics between two hosts?

10. Apache virtual hosts with one combined logfile and statistics

11. Monitor and Graph Apache Web Statistics Using Cricket or Some other Tool

12. need resources on statistics/log monitoring

13. Web statistic monitor packages