Samba Login issue

Post by Doug Holt » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:36:14

Group;

I have a RedHat 7.3 server running samba 2.2.12-0.73.7.legacy.  When I
config smb.conf for a workgroup my Windows XP pc can log on to the shares
*if* I logon to the XP machine as a local workgroup machine.

If I log on to the XP machine in the domain my samba server won't authorize
me.  I changed smb.conf to replace the workgroup name with the domain name
but it still fails to log me on.  (I restart smb.)

What am I missing?

Thanks

Doug

Samba Login issue

Post by Rolf Arne Schulz » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:09:24

> Group;

> I have a RedHat 7.3 server running samba 2.2.12-0.73.7.legacy.  When I
> config smb.conf for a workgroup my Windows XP pc can log on to the shares
> *if* I logon to the XP machine as a local workgroup machine.

> If I log on to the XP machine in the domain my samba server won't authorize
> me.  I changed smb.conf to replace the workgroup name with the domain name
> but it still fails to log me on.  (I restart smb.)

With such an old samba (and os) you probably have to change a setting
in the registry on the windows client before you join the computer to
the domain. Search for "requiresignorseal" in the howto on this
url: http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html.

--
Rolf Arne Schulze
Min Weblog: http://rolfas.net/

Samba Login issue

Post by Doug Holt » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:19:47

>> Group;

>> I have a RedHat 7.3 server running samba 2.2.12-0.73.7.legacy.  When I
>> config smb.conf for a workgroup my Windows XP pc can log on to the shares
>> *if* I logon to the XP machine as a local workgroup machine.

>> If I log on to the XP machine in the domain my samba server won't
>> authorize
>> me.  I changed smb.conf to replace the workgroup name with the domain
>> name
>> but it still fails to log me on.  (I restart smb.)

> With such an old samba (and os) you probably have to change a setting
> in the registry on the windows client before you join the computer to
> the domain. Search for "requiresignorseal" in the howto on this
> url: http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html.

> --
> Rolf Arne Schulze
> Min Weblog: http://rolfas.net/

Rolf;

Thanks for this link.  I had been reading this and another link.  It's
confusing; I have a W2K server that can map a drive to the samba server, but
this xp workstation can't under the domain, just the workgroup.  I think the
link you mention has to do with "joining" a domain, which I already have
done.

Advise if I'm incorrect.

Doug

Samba Login issue

Post by Rolf Arne Schulz » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:05:52

>> the domain. Search for "requiresignorseal" in the howto on this
>> url: http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html.
> Thanks for this link.  I had been reading this and another link.  It's
> confusing; I have a W2K server that can map a drive to the samba server, but
> this xp workstation can't under the domain, just the workgroup.  I think the
> link you mention has to do with "joining" a domain, which I already have
> done.

> Advise if I'm incorrect.

I also thought I had joined the computer to the domain. I got the
"Successfully joined Doman XXX" when joining. But still the computer
account didn't work. When I made that registry change it worked.

But if that is not the problem, could you please post the error
message you get when you try to log in? The error messages are
confusing, but with experience I have learned which error message that
means what on login problems.

--
Rolf Arne Schulze
Min Weblog: http://rolfas.net/

Samba Login issue

Post by Doug Holt » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:24:01

>>> the domain. Search for "requiresignorseal" in the howto on this
>>> url: http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html.
>> Thanks for this link.  I had been reading this and another link.  It's
>> confusing; I have a W2K server that can map a drive to the samba server,
>> but
>> this xp workstation can't under the domain, just the workgroup.  I think
>> the
>> link you mention has to do with "joining" a domain, which I already have
>> done.

>> Advise if I'm incorrect.

> I also thought I had joined the computer to the domain. I got the
> "Successfully joined Doman XXX" when joining. But still the computer
> account didn't work. When I made that registry change it worked.

> But if that is not the problem, could you please post the error
> message you get when you try to log in? The error messages are
> confusing, but with experience I have learned which error message that
> means what on login problems.

> --
> Rolf Arne Schulze
> Min Weblog: http://rolfas.net/

Rolf;

Thanks again for the help.

When I try and attach to the Samba server when my XP machine is logged into
the Domain I get a box showing that "Logon Unsuccessful, that user name you
typed is the same name you logged in with, that user name has been tried, no
domain controller can be found to verify the user name".

When my XP machine is logged into the Workgroup, this doesn't happen and I
get access to my share on the Samba server.

Doug

Samba Login issue

Post by Rolf Arne Schulz » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:53:42

> typed is the same name you logged in with, that user name has been tried, no
> domain controller can be found to verify the user name".

The "no domain controller can be found" message can indicate two
things:

1) Your samba server is not set up correctly to act as a domain
controller and the computer cannot find a server to use as logon
server.

2) You have not entered the machine correctly into the DOMAIN, which
leads me back to the registry thing.

The solutions I suggest is therefore the following, numbered according
to the list above:

1) Reread the howto on setting up as PDC. Make sure you use a howto
for your ancient software

2) Make the registry change.

And I also feel like suggesting a third solution:

3) Upgrade to a resent operating system and samba version. Redhat 9
and samba 2.x is VERY old and unsupported. If you want to stay with a
rpm-based system, I suggest Fedora Core 4. If you like to try
something new and a lot better, wait until October 16 and install the
new Ubunty Breezy (version 5.10).

--
Rolf Arne Schulze
Min Weblog: http://rolfas.net/

1. SAMBA TEAM: New MS CIFS Lic non-issue with samba...

2. 'gdb' debugger problem (Sparc)

3. Samba: Login prob with W95 login

4. continual, annoying hard disk access under gnome

5. Getting login script to map win95 shares with samba "domain" logins

6. gunzip and netscape for SCO?

7. Linux/Samba Machine & User Accounts for Samba PDC in samba-2.2.1a Question?

8. Win98 / Linux

9. SAMBA, SAMBA, SAMBA

10. RH7.2 Samba issue

11. Samba performance issue

12. OSX : connect to Linux Samba server issue

13. Samba Issues