Linux server w/ Windows 98 client

Linux server w/ Windows 98 client

Post by Andreas R.R. Gustafss » Sun, 20 May 2001 08:29:42



Hullo!

I'm trying to set up a home network consisting of 2 machines ...

Machine #1: Linux (Ravenclaw)
Machine #2: Windows 98 (Gryffindor)

I'm able to access Ravenclaw from Gryffindor using SSH and HTTP,
however I cannot see Ravenclaw in the Network Neighbourhood on
Gryffindor. I've installed Samba on Ravenclaw but it's not showing up.
My gut feeling is that the Windows 98 settings are not correct ...

Could anyone point me to a tutorial on how you set up a linux machine
as a server in a network with a Windows 98 client?

- Andreas

 
 
 

Linux server w/ Windows 98 client

Post by Dean Thompso » Sun, 20 May 2001 14:33:47


Hi!,

Quote:> I'm trying to set up a home network consisting of 2 machines ...

> Machine #1: Linux (Ravenclaw)
> Machine #2: Windows 98 (Gryffindor)

> I'm able to access Ravenclaw from Gryffindor using SSH and HTTP,
> however I cannot see Ravenclaw in the Network Neighbourhood on
> Gryffindor. I've installed Samba on Ravenclaw but it's not showing up.
> My gut feeling is that the Windows 98 settings are not correct ...

> Could anyone point me to a tutorial on how you set up a linux machine
> as a server in a network with a Windows 98 client?

Quick question, how are the two machines connected to one another.  Are they
connected through a HUB or are they connected directly through a
cross-over/uplink cable?

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Linux server w/ Windows 98 client

Post by l00m » Mon, 21 May 2001 17:53:11


when you say that you have installed samba on ravenclaw, does it mean
that you have it configured?
I think that you should have your /etc/smb.conf file edited so your
machine will show a netbios name and, at the same time, make a shared
folder to play around with files.
More info : type 'man smb.conf' or get the samba-howto on
www.linuxdoc.org



>Hullo!

>I'm trying to set up a home network consisting of 2 machines ...

>Machine #1: Linux (Ravenclaw)
>Machine #2: Windows 98 (Gryffindor)

>I'm able to access Ravenclaw from Gryffindor using SSH and HTTP,
>however I cannot see Ravenclaw in the Network Neighbourhood on
>Gryffindor. I've installed Samba on Ravenclaw but it's not showing up.
>My gut feeling is that the Windows 98 settings are not correct ...

>Could anyone point me to a tutorial on how you set up a linux machine
>as a server in a network with a Windows 98 client?

>- Andreas

 
 
 

Linux server w/ Windows 98 client

Post by J » Mon, 21 May 2001 06:49:08


just try the SAMBA-Howto, or if u' d like a short version www.phonax.com did
wonders for me :)

J


Quote:

> Hi!,

> > I'm trying to set up a home network consisting of 2 machines ...

> > Machine #1: Linux (Ravenclaw)
> > Machine #2: Windows 98 (Gryffindor)

> > I'm able to access Ravenclaw from Gryffindor using SSH and HTTP,
> > however I cannot see Ravenclaw in the Network Neighbourhood on
> > Gryffindor. I've installed Samba on Ravenclaw but it's not showing up.
> > My gut feeling is that the Windows 98 settings are not correct ...

> > Could anyone point me to a tutorial on how you set up a linux machine
> > as a server in a network with a Windows 98 client?

> Quick question, how are the two machines connected to one another.  Are
they
> connected through a HUB or are they connected directly through a
> cross-over/uplink cable?

> See ya

> Dean Thompson

> --

+____________________________+____________________________________________+

|
> | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
|
> | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
|
> | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
|
> | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077
|
> | Melbourne, Australia       |
|

+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
 
 
 

1. Standalone Linux Server with Windows 98 and Windows XP clients

Looking at setting up a Linux Server that will be used as a file server
and an intranet web site by approximately 40 user workstations that are
running either Windows 98 (various versions) or Windows XP.  This is a
big step for us, as we are jumping to this from an NT environment.

Am interested in learning in advance what sort of pitfalls to avoid and
the sort of problems, if any, that we am likely to encounter in getting
all of this set up with regards to user accessibility, security, etc.
Also would like some information on general issues to pay attention to
with setting things up.  

We are also interested in learning what sort of problems or differences
the user end is probably going to encounter.

Generally ... hollering help in advance :-)

--
Ed Albert
Programmer/Analyst
Fiscal Affairs
Humboldt State University

  cea7002.vcf
< 1K Download

2. color losted in X

3. windows 98 client is slllooowwwww retrieving from linux server

4. epic100.o module problems HELP!

5. DHCP server on Linux -> windows 98 client

6. Want commercial apps for Linux?

7. pkgadd bug

8. Good, free X-Windows client for Windows 98?

9. newly exposed to linux server with 98 clients

10. Linux client with win98 server (w/ cable modem on win 98 machine)

11. E-Mail Server on Linux, Clients on Win '98

12. Sygate (Win 98) server to Linux client