Sharing a Printer, Help Please!

Post by Chris Kurdi » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I am hopping that someone might give me a clue as to why I can't share my printer.
I am using RedHat and I have configured my printer to work fine on it (using
the Red Hat printer config utility). Now I have brought up another machine
with Red Hat linux and I wish to share my printer with it. After entering the
relevant information on the second machine (server02) to print to my machine I get the
following message on the sever02 when I enter lpq:

server01.crom.edu.au: lpd: lp: Your host does not have line printer access

I have placed in the hosts, hosts.lpd, hosts.equiv and hosts.allow files on
my machine the following info:

203.1.150.11 server02.crom.edu.au server02

Using the Printer_Cfg tool on the second machine (server02)
I entered the following:

(I clicked on the Add button)
(Then clicked on the 'Remote Unix (lpd) Queue' radio button, then clicked ok)
Names (name1|name2|...) already had 'lp' in it.
Spool Directory already had '/var/spool/lpd/lp' in it.
File Limit in Kb(0 = no limit) had '0' in it.
I enter in the Remote Host: server02.crom.edu.au
I enter in the Remote Queue: /var/spool/lpd/lp1

Both machine are aware of the other, ping works.
And lpd is running on both.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--Chris Kurdian.

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>server01.crom.edu.au: lpd: lp: Your host does not have line printer access

>I have placed in the hosts, hosts.lpd, hosts.equiv and hosts.allow files on
>my machine the following info:

>203.1.150.11 server02.crom.edu.au server02

This is the gormat of /etc/hosts.  It is not the correct format for
hosts.{lpd,equiv,allow}.  Give only the FQDN.

1. please help: zip and printer sharing parallel port

Dear Folks,

I have one parallel port and two devices,
a zip 100 (parallel) and a printer.

I have compiled what I thought was the perfect
kernel: It as:

1. fulltime scsi support compiled-in, and I chose
   to probe all scsi luns at boot.

2. ppa is a module
3. lp is a module.

My problem is that at boot, with the zip drive having
a disk in it, and being connected to the parallel port,
the zip drive gets missed (0 scsi detected and not included
in the partition check). With zip-driver compiled in (not module)
the drive gets recognized; with only kernel difference being
zip-driver modularized, zip drive gets missed. The option
exists for ppa as a module, can someone help me get it to work?

Also, is it possible to manually add the drive to the
partition table to a running kernel? I mean, currently the
/dev/sda4 comes up as 'not recognized as valid block device';
is there some way to add it to the running system?

Thank You for any help you can give!
Sincerely,
Charles Cosse

2. CICS hogging processors

3. Please help with Samba printer share

4. vmlinux compiles. how do I boot it?

5. still need printer help please please please

6. Problem compiling KLyX

7. please please help, printer trouble!!!

8. Newbie questions

9. please please help, printer trouble

11. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

12. NFS please help me please please please sniff

13. Driver help required for all Win Printers ..Please Help me!