Sharing the c:\windows folder through SAMBA

Sharing the c:\windows folder through SAMBA

Post by Michael Knig » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:37:49

I deserve to be heavily flamed for this post, but I'm trying to avoid
having to contaminate my linux box with a MS product.

I have been toying with wine, and it occurred to me that I should be
able to run programs from the XP machine I have networked to my linux
box if I have the proper directories on the XP machine smbmounted on
my linux box.

The problem I'm having is that I can't get XP to let me share either
the windows or the "Program Files" folders.  Highly irritating that I
can't even run solitaire or notepad.

I've scoured the ms-windows newsgroups, and even made a few posts
there, but no answers.  Thus, I fall back to the trusty linux
community and their vast bank of knowledge to try and answer this
question.....

Does anyone know how to get these folders to be shared under XP?  Or
is there a workaround using some linux tool?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and again my apologies for the ms-windows question in a linux
group.

-Michael

1. Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

Hi!

I got windows XP and Mandrake linux networked with each other.
Lately, I came upon an odd problem.  I save all my downloaded proggys
,music etc in one big folder. It gotten to be 5 gig in size. Lately I
have not been able to write any data to this windows xp share folder
from my linux box. I can read and WRITE /MAKE " NEW FOLDERS ONLY" but
samba refuses to transfer any size file and comes back with a "
insufficient disk space problem " .  Since the share folder is in the
XP machine, and I never had any problems at all before xfering files I
came to the conclusion that it must be either a bug in samba? maybe ?
or a XP share restriction issue.  I checked the share folder
attributes , user, rights etc and all checks well.

I then decided to make a whole new folder and have the same folder
attributes as the one described above. I then tried and sucesfully
transfered a file from linux to windows.  So, according to what I have
seen and learned so far, it seems like windows has a maximum folder
size limit ??? if so, how can you disable it?

Any ideas guys?

TIA!

2. where is stddef.h ?

3. SAMBA Question, Linux box can't see Windows Shared folders

4. caldera open linux?

5. Samba 2.07 -- sharing folder?

6. unable to start Netscape

7. Samba server-share folder

8. windows bashing

9. Help, Share folder between Samba and Netatalk

10. Create and delete Samba shared folders

11. Samba Shares Folders I Didn't Set in smb.conf

12. Help w/Backups, Samba Shares Thru Win95

13. Folder Sharing between Linux and Windows NTFS ?