Talk does not work, PPP, HELP please

Post by roo » Mon, 01 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: I hace a PPP conexion. My email works fine, but when i try de talk
: command, gets the conexion to the remote, and waits for invitation or
: something, but I know than nobody really receives a signal at the
: remote. Anybody had this problem? How they fixed it?
: Thankyou in advance,
:                       CSP

Are you trying to talk to Sun Workstations, or anything running Solaris?
If so, then use Ytalk, as the talk daemon on Solaris/SunOS is broken.

        --Pol

Post by Robert Stockma » Tue, 02 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: I hace a PPP conexion. My email works fine, but when i try de talk
: command, gets the conexion to the remote, and waits for invitation or
: something, but I know than nobody really receives a signal at the
: remote. Anybody had this problem? How they fixed it?
: Thankyou in advance,
:                       CSP

use in.ntalkd for talk in /etc/inetd.conf :

talk    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd
ntalk   dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd

also enable the loopback network device.

talk to ya later ;)

Robert
--
++---------------------------++----------------------------------------++
|| R.M. Stockmann            ||   InfoMagic Nederland VOF              ||

|| tel:   +31 162 421747     ||   P.O.Box 4375                         ||
|| fax:   +31 23  5354442    ||   NL-4900 CJ Oosterhout                ||
|| http://www.infomagic.nl   ||   The Netherlands                  ||
++---------------------------++----------------------------------------++

Post by Stev » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>: I hace a PPP conexion. My email works fine, but when i try de talk
>: command, gets the conexion to the remote, and waits for invitation or
>: something, but I know than nobody really receives a signal at the
>: remote. Anybody had this problem? How they fixed it?

also, make sure you have your machine knows your address, i used to be able
to get talk requests on my ppp connected machine, but if i responded then the
other end received nothing... solution was to go into /etc/hosts and stick my
ip address in there, from then on, im been able to talk to my hearts content

-steve

--
    I'm just very selective about the reality i choose to accept. -Calvin
     I have plenty of common sense, i just choose to ignore it. -Calvin

1. PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

The title explains it all. . .

Current status:  I walked through the entire ppp document again, and was
able to create a chat script to autologin using information inside the
/etc/ppp/options file, ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, and ppp-off.

But I can't get ip-up to run.  I was careful to follow the exact
tutorial that the PPP HOWTO gave, and it wouldn't run.

In /var/log/messages I can see 'cannot execute /etc/ppp/ip-down, Exec
format error'

It indeed was not the correct format.  I have added a #!/bin/sh to the
first line, and have changed this to #!/bin/bash, and have messed with
all kinds of permissions.  Inside each corresponding file I just edited
down each file until they say:

echo IPUP is RUNNING > ipup.log

or

echo IPDOWN is RUNNING > ipdown.log

And I can run these files by hand and they work, but damned if it will
run with a ppp network layer comes up.  ip-down looked like it has tried
to run as mentioned above, but I can't recreate it.  ip-up has never
tried, according to the /var/log/messages.  I bring the ppp connection
down using ppp-off.  I also have added recommendations accordingn to
documentation and they don't run with exact syntax lifted from these
documents.

I am completely stumped.  Can anyone help?   I cannot find anything
anywhere that gives me a clue about what I might be missing.

I can manually alter the client routing on dialup, and I have an idea on
how to get the server side to alter the routing based on a mickey mouse
script I can write, but it is not the way it should work. If ip-up and
ip-down worked, it would be a piece of cake.  But I can't figure out
this last piece. . .

Help anyone??  Thanks, I would be very grateful.  Have installed and run
several other items under Linux and it all makes sense.  Have used dip
sacripts as well as chat scripts, and they all work fine.  But
/etc/ppp/ip-up and ip-down just flat aren't executing and I can't figure
out why.

Am running PPPD 2.2 under RedHat Linux 4.0.  Everything else works like
a champ.

tx, david

2. How to change screen res...

3. can't compile 1.2.13 anymore inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'

4. why broadcast packet is not fragmented..

5. help ppp dos not work

6. help needed using netscape on Solaris over modem

7. PPP still not working..Please help...

8. PPP to ISP WORKS, BUT NOT TO SCHOOL--HELP PLEASE!!!

9. PPP works but not with httpd -- Help, Please?

10. PPP not working correctly (Redhat 5.2) PLEASE HELP!

11. PPP to ISP WORKS, BUT NOT TO SCHOOL HELP PLEASE!!!