Linux as Mail Gateway & POP Mail Server

Post by Gary Wels » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm new to Linux and was wondering if I set up a Linux server, could I
use it for UUCP over dial up to my ISP and as a POP mail server for that
same mail?

I would like one central place to do dial up for mail and for others on
the network to access the mail there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rudi Perkins

Linux as Mail Gateway & POP Mail Server

Post by Martin Ma » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'm new to Linux and was wondering if I set up a Linux server, could I
>use it for UUCP over dial up to my ISP and as a POP mail server for that
>same mail?

Yes, this is how I have my machines setup at home. Linux handles uucp mail and
news delivery. News and Mail are then available to my Windows box via nntp and
pop respectively.

Currently, I use sendmail with my ISP setup as the 'smarthost'. Read sendmail
faq for information. Effectively all non local mails routes to the ISP via
uucp.

If you need further info., drop me an e-mail.

Regards,

Martin Main

>I would like one central place to do dial up for mail and for others on
>the network to access the mail there?

>Any help would be appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Rudi Perkins

|  Aberdeen                      Compuserve: 100337,3365           |
|  SCOTLAND                                                        |

Post by Todd Graham Lewi » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I'm new to Linux and was wondering if I set up a Linux server, could I
> use it for UUCP over dial up to my ISP and as a POP mail server for that
> same mail?

Yes.  All comes built in.  See the O'Reiley books on uucp and sendmail
and the man pages for general info, repost here when specific questions
arise.

Quote:> I would like one central place to do dial up for mail and for others on
> the network to access the mail there?

Doable.  Definitely doable.  Gonna go to Las Vegas.  Cheat at poker.  I'm
really an excellent driver...

Todd Lewis

1. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

Let's take a look at this scenario:

I have two mail accounts, one on academic Unix server A and second
at my office - Unix server B. And there is also Win95/NT PC on my desk.
Practicaly I use Internet only from my PC. There is proxy gateway for
http and ftp outbound connections. No pops, telnets and other services
outside the office. You know - security.
And, let's assume, all inbound mail is CCopied to my boss.

And where is the problem?
I want to have all my private mail (sent to my academic account)
on my desk - Internet Mail, Pegasus or sth like that.

Forwarding mail from one account to the other does not provide security.
My office Unix server is "untrusted", so all forwarded mail should
arrive encoded. And decoding should be done by my pop3 client, just on
my desk.

So, some procmail action should be taken at Server A to encode (by pgp?)
and forward mail. And some automatical decoding at my desk.

Any help?
Any URL, sample conf and tips?

Regards
tko

2. Strange "talk" problem

3. HELP: Mail/Pop Server Can't Received Mail

4. building RH 5.1 installation floppies

5. POP to POP mail servers

6. Need info *quickly* / possible bus. or job opp.

7. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

8. Xfree86 4.0 & Logitech FirstMouse+ serial mouse problem

9. Help & Advice needed: Setting up a POP mail server (SUN or SGI)

10. SMTP & POP mail under Linux.

11. linux mailing lists causing pop server to hang?

12. POP Mail Server For LINUX?

13. Unix Mail to CC:mail gateway